Re: [Glossary] Definition of a portable document (and other things...)

Yes, and let me piggyback on this to try to make my point (to Ivan) more
clear.

I think that the ability to reliably *capture a snapshot and use it offline*
is a righteous *feature* for a Web Document to offer. And, the results of
that snapshot might be itself a (new instance of a) "Portable [Web]
Document".

But to me that does *not* make the original Web Document itself a "Portable
Web Document" because what is captured with the snapshot is not a true
representation of the original document.

Leonard's dashboard example is a perfect illustration. Take a dashboard
like http://status.aws.amazon.com/ .  I can't imagine calling that a
"Portable Web Document".

I think we are here confusing offline features of Web Documents with what
is a Portable [Web] Document. I don't believe they are at all the same
thing. And I am still convinced we can come up with a definition for the
latter that is neither anthropocentric nor fundamentally subjective.

--Bill

--

Bill McCoy
Executive Director