Re: [Glossary] Definition of a portable document (and other things...)

Yes I did not actually propose to use checksums in the definition, that was
a motivating thought experiment only. And I am not particularly attached to
my "formats are finite and enumerable" language either and would welcome
something better (I also thought of the term "knowable" but decided against
it lest we delve too far into epistemology).

But to be clear on what I meant I want to drill down on your example.

If said JavaScript program is to be run on the receiving system, aka user
agent aka reading system, then in REST architectural style terms, this what
Roy Fielding defined as "code-on-demand". In this case the *format* of the
resource is the JS code itself not the side-effects of its execution - so
sure it can be portable per my definition and usually would be (unless the
code itself were dynamically generated by another program, or referenced in
a loose way by URI that is not specific as to version etc.). That there are
infinite potential results of executing that code on the user agent doesn't
impair portability and in fact to me it is precisely this that makes a
portable web document special with respect to interactivity vs. an
arbitrary Web app - a portable web document can be highly interactive, but
all the interactive elements must itself be portable. OTOH if that
JavaScript code in your example was designed to run only on the server via
e.g. Node.js, then no the resulting Web document would not (in my view) be
portable at all (well, since portability is not binary, the dependency on
such server-side logic would be a ding to that document's portability
rating, which might be more or less determinative depending on how
important that dynamic Fibonacci display is to the document as a whole).

--Bill