Re: [Glossary] Definition of a portable document (and other things...)

Deborah your examples and analysis were very helpful but also crystallized
for me that I think "curated" (if implying any human involvement) is not
really properly part of the definition.

A computer program to me can validly produce anything we consider a
"Portable Web Document". For example a realization of my monthly bank
statement will be a document, but it is not curated by a human.

If an online calendar is simply a UX over a database then I don't consider
it a "document" (whether or not the calendar entries have been curated).
But if the calendar system can produce a PDF representation of the
calendar, that would be a portable document (but not a "portable *web*
document").

Similarly if you search on Google for "influenza" the results on the left
(the search results) are in no way a "web document" (IMO), the sidebar on
the right (with navigation via tabs) could be considered a "web document"
but is not a "portable web document" - and whether it's truly a web
document could be debated. The PDF that is generated is certainly a
portable document (but not a portable "web" document, as I understand that
term). But whether the content of the sidebar was in the first place
human-curated or machine generated via semantic processing to me is not
decisive as to whether it should be considered a "web document", and
certainly not as to whether the PDF should be considered a "portable
document". In fact I don't know the answer. So thus "document-ness", at
least to me, has nothing directly to do with human curation.

--Bill

--

Bill McCoy
Executive Director