From: Ivan Herman
Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 12:22 AM
To: Olaf Drümmer
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG, Leonard Rosenthol, Deborah Kaplan, Ralph Swick, Bill Kasdorf, Bill McCoy
Subject: Re: [Glossary] Definition of a portable document (and other things...)

On 07 Sep 2015, at 21:39 , Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com<mailto:olaf@druemmer.com>> wrote:

Would this discussion become easier if based on a starting point like:

On 7 Sep 2015, at 16:48, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org<mailto:ivan@w3.org>> wrote:

[[[
A **Web Document** is a uniquely identifiable and curated set of interrelated Web resources. A Web Document should be constructed of resources whose formats enable (individually or in conjunction with other resources in the same Web Document) a graceful adaptation to the users' needs.

A **Portable (Web) Document** is a Web Document that has enough information to ensure a graceful degradation when presented to the user even offline. A Portable Web Document should also include enough information for a graceful adaptation to the user's needs.
]]]

we distinguished between
**Web Document** and **good Web Document**
and also between
**Portable (Web) Document**  and **good Portable (Web) Document**

Requirements like "graceful adaptation to the users' needs" are all fine, but some web documents might just not adapt gracefully and still would have to be called a web documents…

I am a bit afraid of overcomplicating things by introducing too many terms.  This is why it says "should" and not a "must": this is a pragmatic choice...

Ivan

Just my 2 cents…

Olaf

Digital Publishing Lead