Re: [Glossary] Definition of a portable document (and other things...)

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com143144
<lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:

> > The definition of a portable document must not to be so general that  it
> includes every collection of resources
> > that could theoretically exist in the format we define as "portable.”
> >
> I quite disagree with you here, but as mentioned in the previous thread, I
> am concerned about the format itself.  And the format MUST allow for ANY
> collection of resources to be bound together in a “portable fashion” or
> it’s not a “Portable Document Format” (in the generic sense, of course).

We don't disagree, except that we're having sideways conversations. You're
discussing formats which could contain a portable web document. I am
discussing a definition of what is a "portable web document."

And I reassert: a portable web document definition has to have specific
constraints on the concept of "document." Not everything composed online is
a document.

If I was too information theory-heavy  in my earlier post, let me move to
the physical layer: If I spill ink on a piece of paper, it's not a
document. Ink and paper are both permissable formats for encoding
documents, but my use of permissable formats does not make it one. (We
shall leave the trickier question of infinite typing monkeys and the works
of Shakespeare for another philosophical discussion.)

>I would argue that something does not become a portable document because a
> spider crawled the site and generated a sitemap file.
> >
> In general, I agree.  UNLESS the purpose of the spider WAS to create a
> document from your site.  And in that way, I agree with you when you wrote
> “I assert that to make something a document, a human choice needs to have
> been made to create it”.  So we agree that as long as there is explicit
> intent to gather that collection, then it’s a document.

Yes, precisely as I said in my email: "That can be *one* method by which
portable documents are created (e.g., I can make the decision that I would
like to create a document which is my entire site, so I build a spider to
generate a collection."  We agree completely on that point.

And as I said, I think we are not disagreeing; your points address
questions of formats, and mine address questions of documents.

Deborah

Leonard