From: Deborah Kaplan
Date: Friday, September 4, 2015 at 2:45 PM
To: Leonard Rosenthol
Cc: Ivan Herman, W3C Digital Publishing IG, Ralph Swick, Bill Kasdorf, Bill McCoy
Subject: Re: [Glossary] Definition of a portable document (and other things...)

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com177<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:
Deborah – you seem to be mixing the abilities of the file format with the specific implementation choices of an author using that format.

Nope. ;)

Quoting the beginning of the thread: Ivan began with "A **Portable Web Document** is a uniquely identifiable set of resources that together provide a graceful degradation when presented to the user even if an active server infrastructure is not available. All components of a portable document should themselves be portable.

The question is, can a document be a Portable Web Document if it is not adaptable? The answer is no.

It may be in a portable format, but it is not a portable document.

We do not need to define portability for formats, here. That is the responsibility of the keepers of the various format standards. We need to define what are the functional requirrements of a thing we call a "portable web document."

The format is portable, because it allows the content to be used in all of those environments in a common manner.   The fact that a given author of content for that format chose to do something strange (be it colors or offscreen or whatever) has NOTHING to do with the formats ability to be portable.

That is true. And I am not making any assertions about the standards of the format.

A "portable web document" is adaptable. This means it must be written in a format which allows adaptable encoding.

Deborah