Is there a CSS media query for EPUB (or, later, PWP)?

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 04:57:58 +0900
Cc: Elika Etemad <fantasai@inkedblade.net>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
To: Dave Cramer <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com>
Dave,

the subject line may just show my ignorance. But is there such a beast? Should there be?

I was looking at the proposal for a new style sheet for W3C documents. A sample document is at:

http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/sample <http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/sample>

There is  really neat trick, which is based on media queries, on pushing the TOC on the left of the screen (if it is large enough), or to have a small sign on the lower left hand corner of the screen for a narrow screen. It is neat, but if the document is converted into an EPUB, it becomes unnecessary. After all, the EPUB structure requires a TOC; in many respect, that TOC on the left reproduces what Reading Systems do (and they do no matter what). The cleanest would be to control that via a media query…

Just an idea very early in the morning:-)

Digital Publishing Lead
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704