Re: How to associate IPA pronunciations with HTML or EPUB resources?

Hi James,
For PLS, EPUB 3 uses link @rel=pronunciation [1]. That value is still in proposed state on the microformats wiki (just like it was in 2011 when EPUB adopted it…). [2]

Note that EPUB also defines two SSML attributes [3] for local overrides of the PLS rules, or for use standalone without a backing PLS. These are used for example to allow homonym disambiguation which is something PLS does not cover. (As a sidenote: as these attributes are XML namespaced, IDPF is thinking about ways of getting them redefined in serialization agnostic form, perhaps as hyphen-spaced attrs in an HTML5 extension specification.)

We don’t have firm implementation data. I think it is fair to say these are very rarely implemented so far in EPUB land. I heard last week that the SSML attributes are used in EPUBs in Japan, but don’t have details as to exactly by whom and how much.

[1] http://www.idpf.org/epub/301/spec/epub-contentdocs.html#sec-pls
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-pronunciation
[3] http://www.idpf.org/epub/301/spec/epub-contentdocs.html#sec-xhtml-ssml-attrib

hth, /markus