W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-digipub-ig@w3.org > October 2015

Meeting minutes, 2015-10-12

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:30:13 +0200
Message-Id: <822BCA69-5D08-4803-9AA0-25A235D3CC28@w3.org>
To: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Minutes are here:

http://www.w3.org/2015/10/12-dpub-minutes.html <http://www.w3.org/2015/10/12-dpub-minutes.html>

Textual version below

Ivan

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

            Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

12 Oct 2015

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2015Oct/0039.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/10/12-dpub-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Brady Duga, Markus Gylling, Tzviya Siegman, Dave Cramer,
          Peter Krautzberger, Heather Flanagan, Alan Stearns,
          Karen Myers, Noel Tanner, Ivan Herman

   Regrets
          Ben, Leonard, Vlad, Tim

   Chair
          Markus

   Scribe
          NickRuffilo, pkra

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]FPWD publication
         2. [6]F2F agenda
     * [7]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 12 October 2015

   <tzviya> agenda
   [8]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2015O
   ct/0039.html

      [8] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2015Oct/0039.html

   Markus: Meeting Chair

   <mgylling> [9]http://www.w3.org/2015/10/05-dpub-minutes.html

      [9] http://www.w3.org/2015/10/05-dpub-minutes.html

   Markus: "Minutes URL has been posted from last week, are there
   any objections to approval?"
   ... "Approved."
   ... "Noel, please introduce"

   Noel: "I'm an ebook designer/developer for Hal Leonard. My role
   is to design and convert their entire catalog - 200,000 books
   to digital formats. Old archival images, to epub, or PDFs,
   mobis, alot of work in the trenches - sometimes in indesign,
   otherwise sublime text and our own stuff. Some audio/video and
   some interactive elements as well."

   Ivan: "I don't think you've officially joined, but this is your
   'getting your feet wet meeting'"

   Markus: "What are the source formats you're coming from?"

   Noel: "Starts from InDesign... We get things from txt files
   from editors, SVG/AI graphics, source audio files, photoshop
   documents... Main body is often PDF, InDesign, Quark, or any
   other page-layout application."

   Ivan: "Hal Leonard has been part of W3C for nearly a year - in
   the Audio group, but they wanted to get into the publishing
   side as well. It's interesting that may come up at some point
   next to Math ML, there are books that will have to include
   music..."

FPWD publication

   Markus: "Next is - finalizing the FPWD of PWP committing
   formally as a group to move forward with it - the Outreach
   plans for it. Was delayed until this week to discuss outreach."

   <mgylling> [10]http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pwp/
   ...: "Lets begin with the document itself. A number of things
   we decidedMarkus"

     [10] http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pwp/

   Ivan: "The major things were all around the last section - on
   the relationship between epub and the portable web document. It
   was still pretty isolated - and make it more part of the
   document. Then we had the definition for the web publication
   didn't make it clear that we were interested in a publication
   where the core publication was focused on web technologies."

   <Noel> Thanks for the link! Hello again!

   Ivan: "I've added some sentences and text. Based on the
   open-web platform. doesn't need to be exclusively on open-web -
   such as a scholarly publication I may want to attach a copy of
   the presentation slides which may be a powerpoint or anything
   else that may not be part of open web. This is what I did. I
   may have made some minor editorial changes."
   ... "That's what I put out Tuesday afternoon. There was only 1
   comment - editorial - to change reference from PDF to the ISO
   reference."

   Markus: "OK. Dave - you promised to do a bit of soul searching
   with your colleagues. To make sure that the current version
   concerns were alleviated."

   Dave: "I seem to have made happy the people who need to be
   happy"

   Ivan: "Happiness for all - the goal of standards"

   Markus: "In reference to clarifying that the open-web-platform
   is a core to the doc, and you point to a wiki page that is not
   an exhaustive list of what is part of the open-web platform?"

   Ivan: "Yes, I don't think a full list exists. But I think this
   is a good start. Not all open-web is W3C - such as javascript.
   I tried to find a resource that listed everything, but this was
   all I could find."

   Markus: "Is there anyone else that would like to comment?"
   ... "If we've exhausted comments, lets get a consensus check
   for the FPWD"

   <dauwhe> +1

   <ivan> +1

   <tzviya> +1

   <astearns> +1

   <HeatherF> +1

   <pkra> +1

   <mgylling> +1

   <dkaplan3> +1

   <Noel> +1

   <Karen> +1

   Tzviya: "We should open this up to the list..."

   <laudrain> +1

   Ivan: "It was for a week"

   Markus: "OK - then we are good to go."

   <tzviya> RESOLUTION: PWP will go to FPWD

   RESOLUTION: PWP will go to FPWD

Outreach around the FPWD

   Karen: Wonderful milestone for DPUB, collaboration with
   IDPF&W3C. Had conversations within and without.
   ... we want to be careful about the messaging.
   ... and temper the outreach volume.
   ... We think it makes sense to have both IDPF and W3C post
   information on their websites (news item, give context) on date
   of publication.
   ... provide support via blog, twitter etc.
   ... question is: how newsworthy is this to post with Publishers
   Weekly etc?
   ... right now, plan is to do a short news update, focus on
   careful communication (FPWD etc)

   Nick: agree with Karen.
   ... First education. We have to explain the process. What is a
   WD, 2-3 pars, what's next steps, how to provide input. Point is
   to get publishers to be more interactive.
   ... Second, it is Frankfurt Book Fair this week. So nobody in
   publishing news is going to write about this this week,
   probably early next week too.
   ... so great to have it out on Thursday but expect to actually
   talk to people next week.

   dauwhe: Some of our messaging complication is that this is not
   a spec but a note.
   ... pay particular attention to the relationship of this WD and
   what's happening in epub 3.1.
   ... some momentum to realize some of the vision of this
   document.

   mgylling: read through the draft from this point of view and
   came out pretty positive.

   dauwhe: agreed. But make it clear we're working together to get
   closer to making this a reality. This community has come
   together in many different places but this is the place where
   we came together for the greater vision.

   tzviya: +1 to dauwhe. From the experience of rolling out the
   ARIA module, we had to give a lot of background both to
   publishers (not knowing about ARIA) and a11y (not knowing about
   publishing).
   ... it would be good to have this from various sides. E.g.,
   Bill "I'm with IDPF, here's our pov", Ivan "I'm with W3C,
   here's our pov"

   <tzviya> DPUB ARIA blog post
   [11]https://www.w3.org/blog/2015/07/aria-and-dpub-publish-fpwd/

     [11] https://www.w3.org/blog/2015/07/aria-and-dpub-publish-fpwd/

   Nick: +1. The biggest concern: those who have been active, have
   been active in IDPF. So they will ask why the should care about
   this W3C thing.

   noel others are sitting out, make decisions really late. So
   they sat out IDPF/epub(3), so they might look to sit through
   this, too. We should present this as the next evolutionary
   step.

   Noel: from the experience of working in a publishing company,
   can confirm this pov to wait for the dust to settle.

   <Karen> Example of what Web Payments IG posted for a first
   public working draft document:
   [12]http://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/4616?pk_campaign=feed&
   pk_kwd=first-public-working-draft-web-payments-use-cases-1-0

     [12] http://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/4616?pk_campaign=feed&pk_kwd=first-public-working-draft-web-payments-use-cases-1-0

   Karen: would love to bring together the volunteers. Tzviya,
   could you contextualize like you did for DPUB-aria, Nick maybe
   for IDPF/W3C context. Maybe we can regroup mid-week, share with
   mailing list.
   ... maybe push to Tuesday to get everyone aligned.

   mgylling: that would be good to get IDPF ppl in.
   ... some distance between publication and first blog post
   doesn't seem a problem.

   <Karen> ACTION: Karen to lead messaging effort [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2015/10/12-dpub-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-53 - Lead messaging effort [on Karen
   Myers - due 2015-10-19].

   mgylling: anything else?

   <pkra> ... Karen: will we send it to IG list?

   <pkra> Karen: yes. Feedback would be very helpful.

   Markus: "If there is nothing else on outreach - we'll move on
   with the agenda"

F2F agenda

   <mgylling>
   [14]https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Oct_2015_F2F_Logistics_and_
   Details#Schedule

     [14] https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Oct_2015_F2F_Logistics_and_Details#Schedule

   Markus: "Agenda for TPAC - which I cannot attend."

   Tzviya: "We have an agenda. If you're able to call in (might be
   middle of night for you) but it would be great."
   ... "There are some requests for meetings, but some of the key
   people will not be there so it wouldn't make sense. Jake
   Archibald will be there, so maybe we'll have a session with
   him. What I've wanted to talk about was: 1) If you're area of
   focus is on the agenda, we need to talk about what we'll be
   doing on the meeting. I don't want to just 'chat' at TPAC.
   Either in the wiki or the

   slides. On 2nd day, 8pm EST (if you can call in) - nick you're
   on agenda"

   Tzviya: "We have some notes from TAG on how the packaging
   dovetails with the PWP..."
   ... "That would fill in well with the Thursday afternoon
   discussion and the publishing object model. We may need
   something at the end of the day on Open Licensing Model - which
   is a reopen of the rights language
   ... "We need to set some goals, but we do have some wiggle
   room. Thoughts?"

   Makrus: "One thing mentioned is that maybe we should have a
   session on updating the group on "
   ... "Update people on Epub 3.1 work..."

   Ivan: "There will be many guests that won't really know what's
   goign on with it - so it will be good to have that on a spot on
   Thursday."

   Tzviya: "Dave you're doing Houdini on Thursday morning? "

   Dave: "Not necessarily - if there is something you need me
   around for, I'm happy to attend."

   Tzviya: "I gave an hour for CSS is that sufficient?"

   Dave: "yes"

   markus: "While speaking about epub, on the 2nd day you have a
   10:45 'identifiers' is that internal or some other group. Ivan
   is going to invent a new identifier that is going to solve
   everything"
   ... "We are tasked with some identification updates."

   Ivan: "To have an update there, specifically on something like
   that..."

   <HeatherF> I know we mentioned it at the beginning of the call,
   but it's _really_ hard to hear Ivan.

   Ivan: "To update on the face-2-face in that session would be
   useful. 10:45 is way to early for you Markus."

   Markus: "You shouldn't require me. You have Dave and Tzviya -
   so you should have enough."

   Tzviya: "I have all the sessions in, but they may move around."
   ... "Do we want to talk about the REL attribute? It's
   exciting."
   ... "I'm trying to understtand who owns it"

   Ivan: "Up to today, the HTML5 WG sort-of-owns the 'rel'
   attribute, but it's one of those unclear stuffs. What the HTML5
   document includes is a small amount of REL attributes that are
   assigned. There is a wiki-page on the microformats site where
   you can register a REL value. I have no idea and didn't find
   out if it actually works or if anyone cares. It may be ill
   defined..."

   <dauwhe> Another possibly canonical source of link
   relationships:
   [15]https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-6.2

     [15] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-6.2

   Ivan: "We don't have a meeting with the new web platform
   working group - and they probably have bigger issues to work
   on, but we may want to bring it up on the side with them - to
   figure out what happened. We will have a meeting where Charles
   will be there, no? The ARIA meeting?"

   Tzviya: "I hope so"

   Ivan: "He was co-chairing web-apps, but now I'm not sure."

   Tzviya: "We should schedule the meeting in advance."
   ... "As mentioned in the past - we will have the opportunity to
   call in. What the next step in is to start with a more detailed
   agenda
   ... "Dave can lead the meeting on the Publication Object
   Model."

   <dauwhe> s/Publications Object Model/CSS/

   Tzviya: "I'm updating the agenda - so see the updated agenda."

   <ivan> Chairs of the Web Platform WG: Adrian Bateman, Art
   Barstow, Charles McCathie Nevile, LĂ©onie Watson

   Tzviya: "For identifiers, Ivan do you want to say more what you
   want to cover?"

   Ivan: "What I wanted to say was how the internal references -
   how it will deal with external URL - how do we solve that you
   have an Identifier that is either a URL or the web-space, and
   something on your own machine."
   ... "What sort of fragment identifiers we need - and what are
   our position on those. What is the role of CFI? Is there a role
   for it? Maybe the FindText work with a URL version as well.
   These are some of the issues running around without any
   structure."
   ... "I think Luc was also involved in some of the identifier
   issues."

   Luc: "Yes"

   Ivan: "If you can send your views/ideas - that would be
   helpful."

   Tzviya: "We have a meeting with ARIA - so I'll set up the
   agenda for that one."

   Ivan: "When do we plan to finish?"

   Tzviya: 4:30pm Friday"

   Ivan: "Just wondering if it was OK for you"

   Tzviya: "It is OK for me."

   Ivan: "OK"

   Tzviya: "Ok"

   Ivan: "Anything else on the agenda?"

   Markus: "No"

Miscellaneous

   Ivan: "We seems to have some bots that try to get a hold of
   webex calls. These un identified dial-ins. somebody conjectured
   that they essentially use the webex to dial-out free to various
   numbers, we have no clue. What we may do is change the password
   for this call one of these days."
   ... "There is a password, but I rarely get asked for it."

   Thanks and bye!

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Karen to lead messaging effort [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2015/10/12-dpub-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [17]scribe.perl version
    1.140 ([18]CVS log)
    $Date: 2015/10/12 17:58:10 $

     [17] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [18] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/





Received on Tuesday, 13 October 2015 07:30:31 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 25 April 2017 10:44:33 UTC