Re: Offline-enabled online book & ebook reader

Hi Jake,

sorry for the late reply, I was on the road last week, too (I went to China from Sapporo).

I looked at your code. I do not claim (I could not claim:-) that I understand everything in the code, far from it. But I think I get a certain idea, also based on your explanations.

What seems to be a consequence for our larger structure is that

- We probably need (just as you did in the examples) a manifest that lists all the files that are relevant in the publication. Or… at least the starting versions; I would expect that it is possible to add new resources to the list held in the SW for caching (ie, if a client discovers new resources then they could be added runtime…). But a model whereby a list is provided as part of the publication is probably the best. This is pretty much what is already happening in EPUB3, nothing surprising there.

- The 'trigger', in your case, is that the index.html file load the page.js file which then starts the process. This means that the publication itself is prepared; I wonder whether there is a different approach that does not require the 'index.html' file to know that it is part of a publication. This is something we will have to discuss at some point among ourselves, but it is a minor issue at this point compared to the overall picture.

Thanks a lot for this!

Ivan

> On 31 Oct 2015, at 12:42, Jake Archibald <jakearchibald@google.com> wrote:
>
> Following our meeting at TPAC, I hacked together an offline-enabled publication format that can be viewed as a regular page, but also downloaded as an archive and viewed in a separate reader site.
>
> https://jakearchibald.github.io/ebook-demo/publisher-site/readme/ <https://jakearchibald.github.io/ebook-demo/publisher-site/readme/>
>
> Hopefully this demonstrates how service worker can be used for this stuff!
>
> Cheers,
> Jake.

Digital Publishing Lead