From: Liam R. E. Quin [mailto:liam@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2015 10:59 PM
To: Brady Duga
Cc: Liza Daly; Dave Cramer; W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: Manifest(o)s, offline reading, and EPUB+WEB

On Mon, 2015-06-22 at 23:00 +0000, Brady Duga wrote:
> I expect it will be unlikely I can get permission to create 5 million
> google.com subdomains. I don't think this scales very well.

You actually only need to create one subdomain, e.g.
    read.google.com
Then, allow *.read.google.com to resolve to read.google.com.

Then people would use e.g. middlemarch.thomas-hardy.read.google.com
and that would match *.read.google.com, go to the right place, and could be passed to a database seach (say).

I'm not trying to promote this - AppCache isn't really designed for this use case and might or might not work well out of the box - but I'm also not trying to shoot it down.

>  Idon't know much about appcache - can the resources be on different
> domains than the manifest? Not all content for a single book is
> necessarily served from the same domain.

The AppCache spec wants everything on the same domain. You can point outside but other things won't be pre-fetched for offline use, as I understand it.

Liam