Re: use case: page based scholarly reference?

> On 10 Jun 2015, at 16:31 , Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com> wrote:
>
> I just sent a separate reply to Ivan's post but in response to Robin's, I think it would be reasonable to forgo the requirement that this be practical in print until there is an easy way to hide the "works" like we often do with URLs today.
>
> Especially in scholarly journals, the online article is now more often the version of record and although that is regrettably often a PDF today, HTML will ultimately win the day.

And there are signs for change. For example, [1] *is* the version of records, and the official bibtex record shows it (hence the fake page number I referred to). Although it is possible to download a PDF file, it is not the official record. It is definitely HTML first.

Another example is[2] on PlosOne. The core is clearly HTML, although it is a bit more convoluted than PeerJ: there is a way to download the PDF and, surprisingly, it is only on the place that I found the 'official' citation format[3] that also uses a fake page number (e115253).

Ie, there is a slimmer of hope that these things will change. The goal would be that I could get an offline version downloaded on my disk of both [1] and [2] with a click of a button: that is what epub+web should do…

Ivan

P.S. I have to say that PLOS is not a really good example for quality. I was shocked to see that, on [2], all the numbers in the text are… images! It looks horrible in my browser, it is bad in so many ways… Sigh...

[1] https://peerj.com/articles/cs-1/
[2] http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0115253
[3] "Klein M, Van de Sompel H, Sanderson R, Shankar H, Balakireva L, et al. (2014) Scholarly Context Not Found: One in Five Articles Suffers from Reference Rot. PLoS ONE 9(12): e115253. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0115253"

> --Bill K

Digital Publishing Activity Lead