Re: report: iOS9 adds "print to PDF"

Well, here we go.

PDF - you need to pinch and squeeze your way through a document. It is a
*dreadful* experience.

The reason we have not seen taken off on the web is a chicken and egg
problem:

- No good integration of Math support in authoring tools
- Inconsistent browser support.
- Because of the two above people don't author in MathML they stick an
inaccessible bitmap out for people.

So,

Authoring tools are now starting to integrate MathML authoring support.
Namo Author is one. I am on their technical advisory board. This will make
it easier for teachers to produce digital math.

Many think that alternative text is adequate. It is not. Research has shown
that providing the ability to navigate a digital math equation, with the
keyboard while having the symbols, etc. highlighted and spoken, results in
math comprehension going up across the board by 10-15%. For Attention
deficit and dyslexia, for which the numbers far exceed blind access, this
is essential functionality.

Benetech is working now to create a cloud reader that will take a MathML
equation and allow you to navigate it and have it rendered with multiple
modalities. Hopefully, this can be integrated into Readium. Screen Reader
vendors on Windows, Linux, and Mac are adding more support for MathML.

Let's forget public web pages for a minute. Think about digital books and
online courses that you typically don't run through on the broader web. The
pieces are coming together now. Education would really benefit from a boost
in math comprehension.
All IBM documentation today can be published as EPUB3. Some links:
- http://asmarterplanet.com/blog/2014/02/epub-mobile.html

- http://idpf.org/news/ibm_adopts_epub

When you get to Asia Pacific EPUB is the book standard - there is no
Amazon. In South Korea all education material must be published in EPUB
format. The education space in the US is converging on EPUB as well.

On April 2nd I was speaking at Harvard on global accessibility trends and
spoke with the Harvard Vice Provos Bols. There was an ADA Title 3
settlement that day on edX that involved educational content delivered to
Harvard and MIT. Please take a look at section 18 and the reference to
EPUB3:
http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/press-releases/attachments/2015/04/02/edx_settlement_agreement.pdf

This is not going to take 17 years and frankly things progress much faster
today than they did 17 years ago.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger