Re: Report on Houdini F2F from Simon Sapin

>> By the way, I wrote a brief report on Houdini (and CSSWG) F2F in Japanese.
>> You can read it using Google Translate for now.
>> I can translate it into English later if necessary.
> I know it may be a lot to ask, but having this translated would be really helpful... The Google translate is, ehem, well, rudimentary:-)

I posted an English translation of the article (omitting some part of the original post).

 CSS Houdini / CSS Working Group meeting report
 http://vivliostyle.com/2015/02/sydney/

Since my English is not fluent, please let me know if there are sentences incorrect or unclear. I will try to improve.

>>> However, will that API also allow for some sort of a fast search which, I presume, would be necessary (e.g., to answer to the question 'on which page is this image')? Do we know more?
>> I think the idea of "break record", mentioned by Rossen in the F2F, could be used for implementing such kind of search.
>> See IRC log: http://logs.csswg.org/irc.w3.org/houdini/2015-02-06/#e516631
>> It was only briefly mentioned in the discussion and I am not sure if it is in the scope of the Fragment Tree API, though.

I summarized the idea of "break record" in the article as follows:

> If one can save information about positions of (page or column or any fragmentation) breaks after layout, it is possible to resume reading in the middle of the document efficiently, starting layout from that point. Without the break record, doing layout from the beginning of the document is necessary since one does not know page breaking positions.

With such information, one can identify the position of a page break nearest to the specified content (e.g. an image) without doing layout from the beginning of the document and answer the page number of the page on which the content is laid out.

--
Toru Kawakubo
Vivliostyle Inc.