Re: footnote element in HTML

Hi Liam,

I'm sorry that you find the annotation spec FPWD very complex.  Any
feedback as to the nature of that complexity would be greatly appreciated
so we can assess how to address it in future versions.

While we're addressing requirements, how about:

* Ability to mark a section of text as the anchor, rather than just a
marker at a single point.
* Ability to have a footnote refer to multiple sections of the text, rather
than only one.
* Ability to provide alternate representations of the footnote comment,
rather than just language translations (for example audience, reading age,
authorization, etc are all issues here)
* The ability to refer to the footnote itself, for example to (you know)
comment on it.
* The ability to create footnotes with reference to non text, including
bounding boxes in image based media.
* Footnote content as media (image, audio, video) rather than plain text
* Ability to provide style information regarding the anchor rendering, for
example to ensure that a highlight color does not collide with the color of
the background, or the bounding box color does not collide with the color
of the image.
* Machine readable provenance information regarding the creator of the
footnote, separate from the document. Is it from the publisher, the author,
or some other party?  Machine readable to enable filtering.
* Ability to control the presentation of the footnote with javascript
and/or user-agent preferences.

Perhaps those aren't all requirements for the simple translation from print
footnotes to a digital facsimile but haven't we gotten past that by now?

Rob

--
Rob Sanderson
Information Standards Advocate