Re: Footnote discussions

Surely that is still just rendering? I mean, if you are defining dPub rules
then yes, I would specify it.  But from an HTML perspective I don't think
it matters.  HTML is about semantics.  I think there are two elements
needed (maybe 3).  One is something that says "this is a reference to a
note".  The other(s) say "this is a note with an id of 'x'".  semantically
this is clear, and assistive technologies would have no problem dealing
with it.

In behavioral terms, I don't mind if it us up to the user agent.  If I
activate a link to a note, does it move me to the note?  Does it create a
modal dialog with the note?  As long as I can get back where I was I am
happy. I absolutely think I need to activate it though.  I don't want the
user agent to, for example, magically display the footnote in a tooltip
when I mouse over the reference.  It might be huge!

Footnote references obviously need to be inline.  And I assume they will
have default rendering that makes sense.  (e.g., <p>This refefences some
footnotes <noteref src="#note1" />, <noteref src="#note2" />, <noteref
src="#note3 /></p> might render as "This references some footnotes [1],
[2], [3])

Are there more complicated requirements for the base markup beyond this?