From: George Kerscher [mailto:kerscher@montana.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2015 1:43 PM
To: 'Shane McCarron'; 'Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken'
Cc: public-digipub-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Footnote discussions

Hi,

Great to see footnotes/ endnotes  is of interest to the HTML working group. From the HTML5 specs we have:
Details
In printed documents, the type of tangential content that the aside element represents is sometimes formatted as a sidebar or annotation or footnote.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/aside.html

However,  there should be three separate elements and having the aside for asides and notes for footnotes and endnotes seems right. Of course there is work on annotations now that is also in play.
David Mcdonalds article sseems close. I would expect that following the EPUB 3 usage would be good, but elevating note to an element.

Best
George