RE: Hindawi responsive equations

I just realized I had never passed this on to the DPUB IG as Ivan had suggested I should.

From: Ivan Herman [mailto:ivan@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2015 5:35 AM
To: Bill Kasdorf
Cc: Tzviya Siegman; Markus Gylling; Dave Cramer; ahmed.hindawi@hindawi.com
Subject: Re: Hindawi responsive equations

This looks great indeed. Actually, I think it is an illustration of the approach Peter was talking about: what I presume Ahmed does is to do a server side processing of the mathematics (MathML or LaTeX) and generate the SVG+CSS combination. And the equations nicely reformat themselves indeed when the size of the window changes, which is great…

Of course, the major problem, as also raised by Peter, is accessibility. The SVG is purely graphics (as it should be), meaning that the equations themselves loose all their original semantics. But that is not Ahmed's fault; there is a missing piece here in the technology chain…

Bill, I would think that it would be worth sharing this with the DPUB IG as a whole. I cannot, of course, comment on the EPUB 3.1 Working Group…

Ivan