Re: "Scholarly HTML" and science.ai

"vernacular" may not be quite the right term but... while some of the
proposed Scholarly HTML is arguably specific to that domain, much of it,
such as the "hunks" stuff, seems to have nothing to do with
scholarly-publishing-specific requirements. There also seems to be
significant overlap with the Structural Semantics Profile [1] that has been
developed by IDPF and the EDUPUB Alliance as part of the EPUB for Education
initiative (aka EDUPUB) as well as the Content Structure section of the
EDUPUB profile itself [2]. These have also been recognized as not
necessarily learning-content-specific but valuable for any content that
wants to be well-structured (in particular that can be assured to be
accessible) so it's now in the process of being generalized as part of EPUB
3.1 [3]. The realization was that stuff that is really about making
well-structured content - not about the vertical of education content -
should really be part of EPUB itself (even if something is not normatively
required to be legal EPUB it may be required to be certifiably accessible
EPUB and thus we are thinking that for EPUB 3.1 such things should be
SHOULDs where sensible). I don't see why it would make sense for PWP to
reverse course on that.

So I hope that we can both harmonize any redundancy between the new
Scholarly HTML initiative and work that's gone on as part of EDUPUB, as
well as appropriately pull out broadly useful features from both efforts
into base specs, in the interests of maximizing accessibility and
interoperability and minimizing bikeshedding.

--Bill

[1] http://www.idpf.org/epub/profiles/edu/structure/
[2] http://www.idpf.org/epub/profiles/edu/spec/#h.selsibtnscc8
[3] http://www.idpf.org/workplans/2015/epub/