Re: [pwp] Progressive enhancement of digital books

> Il giorno 04/dic/2015, alle ore 03:08, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> ha scritto:
>

> prev/next exist today in theory, but in practice most UAs don't do anything with them. While a <nav> section in index.html would work just fine in todays browsers. Even if they don't understand that this particular <nav> is special, it's still full of links that the user can follow.
>
> Also, the semantics of prev/next aren't that straightforward, as they let you create non linear reading orders (loops, forks, going back to something else than where you can from...). Maybe this is a good thing, as it is quite expressive, but I think it can just as easily be considered a footgun. Maybe we could enforce sanity of the prev/next relationships at the validator level.

I don’t know if this could be related. Actually building ebook in ePub is a problem when you try to create non-linear reading. The spine is a big limit for this, and the support for linear=“no” attribute is a good example of chaos.  To be honest the “next/previous” is a little way to see the navigation in ebook. What I really need, when I'm working with big ebooks, is a way to create a non-linear reading and have the power to mark the start of a reading point (for example a link to a picture) and the return from the readed point. A very basic example could be: there is a place of text (called alpha) that could be read starting from 10 different “chapters". I’d like to have a way to put in starting link the return point from the alpha point. Actually I can not, I have to pray the reader has got a “back” function, or write something “dirt” in javascript that do not work in ePub because break the spine order. I think something similar was in Xlink extended links, but actually is not used from bowser or ebook reader.
The alpha point example is quite simple: I’d like also to link to a alpha point and tell to the ereader what to do when the reader turn the page.
The navigation/spine model, for me, is too basic for this kind of work. And a multiple reference to a single picture, for example, is not so strange in a digital text.

Fabrizio