Re: [pwp] Progressive enhancement of digital books

On Dec 3, 2015, at 11:31 AM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 12/3/15, 7:39 AM, "Cramer, Dave" <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 3, 2015, at 10:28 AM, Nick Ruffilo <nickruffilo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> Would this suggest that there is not a global navigation that defines the order of all pages, and simply a relative positioning of next/prev in each document?  Or would this be as as-well-as?
>
> That was my concern as well, Nick.  I would expect that an RS/UA requires a full list of “sections” and their logical ordering so that (if desired) it could present some UX elements such as a TOC, “bookmarks” or whatever.

A nav document should be required for all PWPs, just as it is for in EPUB3. Perhaps the logical ordering there could be considered primary, with prev/next allowing the content to function even in harsh environments.

>> That's an interesting question. In the spirit of progressive enhancement, I think the prev/next links could be a foundation that would work with hardly any effort--it's conceptually simple and exists today.
>
> Effort for authoring, very little, true.  Effort for the RS/UA, a LOT - since it would require opening & parsing every file to find the next links…

I would expect that a reading environment that couldn't construct UX elements from the nav would not go parse every file. If the currently viewed file has prev/next, it's easy to know where to go next without parsing any other document.

Dave
This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.