Re: Publication request for a FPWD of a future Interest Group Note by the DPUB IG

Hi Bill,

> On 20 Aug 2015, at 18:56 , Bill McCoy <bmccoy@idpf.org> wrote:
>
> Ditto, but it raises a process question for me. Typically W3C WGs, in my understanding, do not concern themselves much with tracking or lobbying around implementation status of existing specification features. Thus section 2.1, and many of the issues in sections 3-9, would not seem to be within the purview of W3C WG to make progress on, other than perhaps for the corner case of making known the importance to the publishing community of thinly-implemented features that might otherwise become candidates for deprecation or removal. Of course the browser vendors participate in the WGs so it's great to use that forum as a means to make these issues known and helpful to see them in the overall prioritization but it seems what we really want out of CSS WG is progress on the issues in section 2.2 and 2.3.

This is not fully true. It is correct that the WG's core job is to develop specifications. But all WG-s I have participated in the past or present regularly tried to contact current or possible implementers. That often meant active lobbying. As Dave emphasized, any Recommendation must go through a Candidate Recommendation phase, meaning that real and at least two independent implementations must exist before that document can move forward. It is always up to the WG to decide on the exact terms of the "exit criteria" (as it is called in the W3C jargon) of a Candidate Recommendation phase, and there are WG-s the impose even tougher criteria than the one I mentioned. Features can be (and are) removed from a Recommendation if criteria are not met (a good example is microdata whose development was closed as a WG Note instead of a Recommendation or, an issue we met recently, the <details> element of HTML which did not make it in the HTML5 Recommendation for this reason either); alternatively, documents may be "stuck" in CR status for a long time until the criteria are met.

In this sense, I believe that the contribution is very valuable to the CSS WG...

> I may be incorrect about this but, if not. it leads to the question of whether the group should consider additional means beyond CSS WG to lobby browser vendors to better meet these identified needs of the publishing community.

Although I believe you are incorrect:-) I nevertheless fully agree with your conclusion! Yes, if we can actively lobby, with the weight of the publishing market behind us, to have browser vendors implement a particular feature, that would be a win. For everybody. And that should indeed be the topic of our discussions, too.

> For example, I understand that W3C is having periodic meetings with browser vendors, although I don't know if the agendas include lobbying for the needs of particular market segments.

I do not think why that would not be the case (although I am not a participant of those meetings).

Cheers!

Ivan