From: Ivan Herman [mailto:ivan@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:40 AM
To: Leonard Rosenthol
Cc: Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken; W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: Encryption and Signatures (was Re: [DPUB] packaging requirements document)

> On 20 Aug 2015, at 16:31 , Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> I am familiar with the WebCrypto work.  However, that’s simply an implementation possibility and doesn’t directly reflect the actual desire (or lack of same) as to what it means to have an “encrypted online publication” or a “signed online publication”.
>
> And that is what I am asking about - use case(s).
>
> Leonard

Well… alas!, almost all journal publishers do some sort of an access control over scholarly papers. Today, they hide it behind password firewalls, sometimes they provide you password protected PDF files, etc. I would think that for that community the portable document approach that we have would be viable only if there is an encryption of the content.

A similar, but maybe a better example are legal documents (that need some authentication, ie, signatures) or, say, market reports from consulting companies that sell those reports for good money. I would expect that for all of these any Web Document would have to provide some encryption/signature facility online, just like the portable version.

Ivan