From: Bill McCoy
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 1:05 PM
To: Bill Kasdorf
Cc: Leonard Rosenthol, W3C Digital Publishing IG, Ralph Swick, Ivan Herman
Subject: Re: Relationship between W3C and IDPF, for this work?

HI, just to chime in and add two more points to the discussion:

- I totally agree with Leonard that enterprise/ad-hoc publishing use cases are important and in some sense are those that will push the envelope of use of OWP for publishing, as he wrote: "from the internal-only enterprise content to the church secretary sending out the monthly newsletter". And this is something W3C helps bring to the party, given its large member constituency in enterprise. However, I think it's inaccurate to claim that such customers do not have EPUB and HTML tools today. Consumer-grade word processing tools that have added EPUB 3 export in the last couple of years include Apple Pages, OpenOffice,and the most popular independent WP solutions in Korea and Japan (Hangul WP and Ichitaro). Adobe InDesign and now Apple iBooks Author  are hgher-end solutions but are not just for commercial publishers - they are used in enterprises and by design-centric consumers - and they now both support EPUB 3. Given this competitive situation and the a11y mandates developing for EPUB 3 I would not be surprised if other popular office document solutions weren't natively supporting EPUB 3 reasonably soon. Are EPUB tools (and HTML export options) good enough for ad hoc and enterprise publishing? Heck, no!. But these industry adoption trends strongly suggest that  Leonard's proposal of "starting from scratch" is not the right answer for this group.

- BillK is certainly correct that the raison d'etre of DigPub IG is NOT simply about moving development of EPUB 3 or its successor to W3C. But I think it is fair to acknowledge that this is a possible long-term outcome of closer collaboration between W3C and IDPF. It certainly made sense to everyone for development of the forthcoming EPUB 3.1, which is constrained by definition to maintain compatibility with today's EPUB, to remain at IDPF, while this group can focus more on enabling publishing capabilities in base OWP technologies. For a future "EPUB 4" (whatever it be called), we'll have to see. IDPF's perspective is that a unified approach for portable documents based on OWP technologies will aid interoperability and help support a robust ecosystem (just as PDF has done in ably filling the niche for paper-replica portable documents), and part of our strategy is to help advance the OWP overall and increase alignment of EPUB with the rest of OWP over time. So an even closer relationship with W3C is something that could be welcomed, so long as the needs of the digital publishing industry were effectively met. Whether EPUB becoming more aligned with OWP mandates EPUB work being done at W3C is however not clear - WebGL for example seems to be fine continuing to be developed by Khronos Group, who has gathered 3D industry stakeholders just as IDPF has gathered publishing industry stakeholders. But publishing is more central to HTML/CSS than 3D, and as online and offline publishing converge it's not so clear (to me anyway) that there can be as clear a distinction in the work that needs to be done in publishing for OWP, and the stakeholders for that work, as with 3D (although it's possible that there could be a lasting distinction between the work needed to further develop base OWP capabilities for publishers, and that needed to further develop "superstructures" for reliable publications) .  What IDPF does NOT want to see is work on two "dueling" open standards for portable documents on OWP, and we are prepared for radical evolution of today's approach (both the format itself and spec development processes)  as part of pursuing maximum "harmonization". We do want to avoid "bikeshedding" and even technically meritorious improvements must be balanced against the cost of requiring discontiguous migration (something W3C has navigated masterfully with HTML5 and CSS3 work in recent years). EPUB 3.1 work should help us understand better how far we can push today's EPUB towards meeting EPUB-WEB goals without fundamentally incompatible changes, which may shine more light on how and where future work on the portable document "superstructures" should best be done.

--Bill