Re: use cases added to the portable packaging requirements page and a few questions

On 8/6/15 12:00 PM, Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken wrote:

> Thank you. These are perfect use cases.

Oh, good. I thought of a few more, inspired by "Advancing Portable
Documents for the Open Web Platform: EPUB+WEB"
(http://w3c.github.io/epubweb/) and added those as well.

> I had three other general questions regarding the document: 1. Should
> there be a definition of “package” or is that expected to be
> basically understood by the target audience?
>
>> We probably should provide a short definition. We have discussed
>> this terms extensively. In my mind we are at the point of
>> “(loosely/concpetually) related elements, united by metadata and
>> identifiers”. I suspect others have very strong opinions about the
>> definition.

That's what I was worried about. I have my own definition, poorly
verbalized even in my own head, and thought others might as well.

> 2. How can streamability be a common requirement to caching or
> portability?
>> It can’t be (unless someone knows something I don’t). Edits are
>> needed.

Ah. Glad I'm not losing my mind in that particular instance (no
guarantees on other instances, of course). Perhaps if/when we add
sections on requirements (or at least descriptions) for cached and
online states, we can move this from "common requirements" to
requirements-per-state? Would that make sense?

> 3. Should this document say anything about the other two states
> (online; cached)?
>> I think it does, but I think you’re asking if there are things
>> specific to online or cached. Are there missing elements? Please
>> add them.

I was more looking at the overall structure of the doc. In reading the
intro where it says "Thus, we have defined three states of existence:
..." I immediately looked for description and requirements for all three
states. The doc currently focuses on the portable state. I'm happy to
help with text if the intent is to add the other states.

- -Heather