RE: [METADATA] Updated draft for review

All good suggestions, Madi! My specific responses are in <BK>  </BK> delimiters below.

--Bill

From: Solomon, Madi [mailto:madi.solomon@pearson.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:06 AM
To: Ivan Herman
Cc: Bill Kasdorf; W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: [METADATA] Updated draft for review

Thank you Bill for the pulling all this disparate information together to form a whole.

Here are just a few minor suggestions:

  *   I wonder if the Interviews, including my contribution, might be relegated to an Appendix?  Including them in the reports deters from the goal of the paper which is to concentrate on recommendations for the Task force moving forward. I see the interviews and reports as reference materials. <BK> Yes, that's exactly the plan. They will probably be in a separate document referenced from the main document. They actually started out that way, and got merged into the document at Ivan's request (for convenience at that stage, not to be published that way) and will be moved out as we refine and finalize this. </BK>
  *   in Primary Observations, the second-to-last paragraph starting "In thinking about metadata, it is important to distinguish..."  Do we need this here?  I understand why it's important but since you opened the document with these distinctions,  I don't think we need it restated. <BK> This is a relic of my having tacked on the new Overview section at the top without yet revising any of the rest of it. Yes, indeed, a lot of this kind of cleanup will need to be done. I was holding off partly so that we could see more discussion before doing much more revision, but also frankly because I only had time to do the Overview! </BK>

  *   Is it possible to end with a Summary following Important Themes?  In this section we could revisit the Recommendations as stated in the Overview.  This would give us specific goals to discuss with the Task force and allow details to be flushed out at TPAC, or any other meeting.  This wold include the options for schema.org<http://schema.org> as touched on in this email string. <BK> Excellent idea. </BK>
  *   In Important Themes, under my key themes, would you pleased delete the second-to-last bullet point: "Need for a Centralised Authority or Entity" as it's redundant to "Lack of Authority".<BK> Okay, will do. (Actually, Ivan, while you're merging your recent changes, could you take care of this edit too?) </BK>
Thank you again Bill for this.  We're making the best out of messy metadata.

madi

Madi Weland Solomon
Director, Semantic Platforms and Metadata