W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-digipub-ig@w3.org > September 2014

[Minutes] 2014-09-29 Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

From: Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:20:57 +0200
Message-ID: <5429B119.9070905@w3.org>
To: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Hi all,

The minutes of the Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference 
dated 2014-09-29 are now available at

     http://www.w3.org/2014/09/29-dpub-minutes.html

These public minutes are also linked from the dpub wiki
     http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Meetings

Also find these minutes in a text version following, for your convenience.

Best,

Thierry Michel

----------------------------

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

             Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

29 Sep 2014

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://www.w3.org/mid/5424F804.6080000@gmail.com

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/09/29-dpub-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Alan Stearns (Stearns), Charles LaPierre (clapierre),
           Frederick Hirsch (fjh), Dave Cramer (dauwhe), Markus
           Gylling (mgylling),  Deborah Kaplan (dkaplan3), Mike
           Miller (MikeMiller), Shinyu Murakami (murakami), Peter
           Kreutzberger (pkra),  Ivan Herman (Ivan), David Stroup
           (david_stroup),  Bill Kasdorf (Bill_Kasdorf), Bert Bos
           (Bert) , Ben De Meester (bjdmeest), Paul Belfanti
           (pBelfanti), Laura Dawson (dawson), Madi Solomon (madi),
           Liam Quin (liam), Tzviya Siegman (Tzviya), Liza Daly
           (liza), Thierry Michel (tmichel), Tim Cole (TimCole),
           Ayla Stein(astein), +33.4.92.38.aacc,
           +1.917.770.aadd,+1.217.300.aabb,+1.206.675.aaaa,
           +1.201.236.aaee,.

    Regrets
           Luc Audrain, Graham Bell, Phil Madans, Vladimir, Rob
           Sanderson, Julie Morris

    Chair
           Markus Gylling

    Scribe
           Dave Cramer

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]TPAC agenda
      * [6]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <trackbot> Date: 29 September 2014

    <scribe> scribenick: dauwhe

    <mgylling> correct link for last weeks minutes:
    [7]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2014Se
    p/0077.html

       [7] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2014Sep/0077.html

    mgylling: discussing last week's minutes
    ... any objections?
    ... minutes approved.
    ... two things on agenda
    ... PF collaboration will have to wait
    ... update on STEM from Peter
    ... then TPAC agenda

    pkra: hammer out a richer questionairre based on early
    interviews
    ... I've summarized the interviews but haven't published yet
    ... hope to finish by end of month
    ... it has been interesting... the first four have given me a
    very different angle
    ... those four were forward-thinking, cutting edge

    mgylling: we're curious about observations

    pkra: suprised by [a] big focus on authoring side and what OWP
    can do there
    ... it would be better world if web was much more involved in
    authoring
    ... contenteditable is an issue
    ... how to create print representation of web doc

    Bill_Kasdorf: can you summarize who these people were?

    pkra: Peter Murray-Rust who was a researcher
    ... came up with CML, does data mining
    ... Fernando ???, working on scientific computation, ipython
    notebook format
    ... machine readable but also creates human readable
    ... Dan Whaley from hypothesis, working on annotations
    ... Ian ??? from eLife, a publisher of open-access journal

    <liam> [ Peter Murray-Rust ]

    <liza> ((Sounds OK to me)

    pkra: themes were need for community building
    ... community group for reasearchers and authors
    ... this IG to educate about technologies
    ... the third big theme was about PDF
    ... something everyone has to deal with
    ... pdf creation, being able to use pdf better in web context,
    tools like PDFjs
    ... another issue is peer review and search

    mgylling: thanks for summary. Has there been discussion of
    native rendering of STEM content?

    pkra: not so much.
    ... so little agreement standards that could lead to native
    rendering that community group is needed
    ... they felt its too early
    ... there's dismay at static content
    ... when author comes with SVG, but publisher asks for TIFF
    ... so people are cautious, focusing on baby steps
    ... it's not like MathML, where people are already using it

    Bill_Kasdorf: STEM publishing is one of the earliest sectors to
    go digital
    ... they did that using PDF
    ... for them, digital = PDF
    ... that whole population takes that for granted, its a
    limiting factor

    <ivan> +1 to Bill's comment

    Bill_Kasdorf: the people were very progressive, so startling to
    hear about PDF

    pkra: this came up in positive way. 2 problems: we have an
    output problem, our users want PDF
    ... the first problem is Word.
    ... JATS is the other issue
    ... then you have to generate PDF out of this
    ... if input is HTML in future, and out put HTML in future,
    then pipeline could be simpler

    Bill_Kasdorf: I'm aware of some initiatives to move in HTML
    direction, but can't name them right now.
    ... the tide is turning

    tzviya: did you provide a link to doc?

    pkra: still working on it

    tzviya: until recently, primary output has been PDF but lots of
    pubs are looking at HTML now
    ... CUP, for example, has option to look at both HTML and PDF
    ... we're seeing that more and more in STEM world
    ... which means we need math rendering!!!
    ... this is becoming urgent.

    Bill_Kasdorf: this literature is distributed through hosting
    services. All have JATS at their core, but they all have HTML
    'cause they're online.

    tzviya: not everything is a journal
    ... i've been converting STEM books to EPUB
    ... but because of math I'm having trouble, we've done them as
    images but this can't continue

    mgylling: you mentioned MathML. Is it a more generic problem?
    Chemistry, electronics, other subjects with graphic needs?

    tzviya: it's a broader problem. Chemistry is worse.
    ... physics is an issue, and even advanced math

    mgylling: on what level should we attack the problem?

    tzviya: mathml isn't a quick win

    ivan: in metadata task force, talking mostly about ONIX and
    metadata in ONIX
    ... worth talking to STEM folks about the metadata that
    community uses, which may be different
    ... from traditional publishers
    ... STEM publishing includes conference proceedings

    <Bill_Kasdorf> STEM metadata is dominated by CrossRef deposits
    and metadata required by the hosting services--not typically
    ONIX

    ivan: all the ID mechanisms are different, but we need
    different metadata structure than for whole book

    <tzviya> +1

    ivan: we should not let go of this issue

    Bill_Kasdorf: many stem publishers view metadata as solved
    problem. they use crossref and their hosting services
    ... also fundref
    ... onix only on the book side

    <TimCole> +q

    <Bill_Kasdorf> there is an ONIX for serials but it is less
    ubiquitous than Onix for Books

    pkra: other standards also came up, but people are cautious.
    Even the author of CML is cautious about a standard
    ... also talked about linked data

    TimCole: ivan mentioned metadata issues
    ... there was a report about the important about describing
    metadata at equation level
    ... for discovery and linking
    ... derived from MathML
    ... searching for math equations or linking to them
    ... digitizing renaissance books with emblems, there's a
    vocabulary for defining them, need to apply to individual
    emblem
    ... if stuff is in PDF, it's harder to find and you can't
    properly describe the metadata

    <pbelfanti> Must drop, apologies

    pkra: tools like PDF.js allow people to mix PDF and HTML

    mgylling: how many more interviews?

    pkra: I want to do 3 or 4 more
    ... plus work on the questionairres

    mgylling: any advice for Peter?

    Bill_Kasdorf: make sure you have representative sample of types
    of people that you interview
    ... the first interviews are cutting-edge folks, but may not be
    representative of average scholarly publisher
    ... the questionairre is intended to do that

    pkra: I agree.
    ... "strong opinions" is an understatement :)

    <astearns> :)

    pkra: I will follow your advice

    mgylling: any more questions for peter?

    <mgylling> TPAC agenda is here:
    [8]https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/TPAC2014-F2F

       [8] https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/TPAC2014-F2F

TPAC agenda

    <mgylling>
    [9]https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/TPAC2014-F2F#Participation

       [9] https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/TPAC2014-F2F#Participation

    mgylling: I will lean on Tzviya, who has been running calls
    ... who will attend in person, who will attend virtually

    <ivan>
    [10]https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2014/registrants#D
    P

      [10] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2014/registrants#DP

    mgylling: did we discuss agenda items in the last two calls?

    tzviya: I'm going to pull up minutes

    <tzviya>
    [11]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2014S
    ep/0001.html

      [11] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2014Sep/0001.html

    tzviya: we had a rough sketch of the meetings

    <tzviya> [12]http://www.w3.org/2014/09/08-dpub-minutes.html

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2014/09/08-dpub-minutes.html

    tzviya: want to talk with PF

    CSS has offered to meet on open time Monday

    mgylling: if our primary topic is pagination and box tree

    <astearns> Peter Linss is registered for AC/Testing on Thurs
    and Fri

    mgylling: we could be looking at spending a full half day on
    pagination both internally and with CSS

    <Bert> (I'll be there the whole week, too.)

    mgylling: this is both requirements doc for DOM pagination, CSS
    box tree, and publishers requirements
    ... for IG's own agenda
    ... 25% to pagination cluster (req, css, dom) but we don't know
    when yet. Waiting to hear from dauwhe on getting CSS
    participation
    ... I'll put tentatively on thursday morning pagination
    ... we can move later
    ... regarding PF / a11y / role

    tzviya: I can reach out to PF folks
    ... focused on integrating DPUB terminology

    dkaplan3: a joint session could be useful, we'd want to talk
    about what form that would take

    tzviya: not sure how much time we should take

    mgylling: if we get meeting with PF, would be good to summarize
    our next steps

    tzviya: we might work with people other than PF

    dkaplan3: we have meeting with WAI and mobile team to talk
    about road map mobile used
    ... might help us avoid some dead ends

    mgylling: what other themes for IG meetings?

    tzviya: metadata

    Bill_Kasdorf: we now have github draft up for discussion
    ... I'll be there thursday friday
    ... madi can't attend

    madi: I'll try to call in, depending on the time

    ivan: what times would work for you

    madi: earliest meetings are better

    <TimCole> for metadata, I will only be there Thursday and would
    like to hear about metadata that day if possible

    mgylling: I'll put metadata on friday morning
    ... do we have clear deliverable here?

    Bill_Kasdorf: want to get discussion going on list based on
    starter draft on github
    ... designed to stimulate discussion
    ... would like clarity on what we're working towards

    ivan: 2 things: 1: github doc will eventually become
    publication, but it also includes recommendations for further
    work
    ... and that further work may happen as part of the IGs work
    for the coming year
    ... it's both document and planning

    Bill_Kasdorf: let a week or two go by for discussion, then I
    can provide an agenda for that discussion
    ... maybe by the 13th

    mgylling: pagination, metadata, possibly a11y, what else?

    tzviya: having update on STEM

    mgylling: update on STEM task force?

    tzviya: annotations work is now in its own group

    <fjh> Annotation WG will have meeing on Tuesday at TPAC

    ivan: we should publish annotations use cases as note, then
    close task force
    ... this is on Rob's shoulders
    ... the annotation use cases doc should be closed, and not be
    on agenda any more
    ... we don't need f2f time for this

    mgylling: do we need F2F time for STEM?

    pkra: I cannot make it, can dial in
    ... there was nothing planned.

    <astearns> have to drop for my next meeting, sorry

    pkra: might connect with math group

    tzviya: we can get update at weekly meetings

    mgylling: we can certainly use F2F time if it will help
    ... agenda now beginning to appear on wiki

    ivan: update on chinareq
    ... lot of overlap with i18n
    ... also in korean
    ... discussions with Indian community about typesetting
    requirements
    ... we should discuss with Richard Ishida

    mgylling: can we put placeholder?

    ivan: I'll check with them, if you ask nicely

    <clapierre> Meeting with SVG?

    mgylling: pagination, metadata, i18n, possibly a11y, possibly
    STEM

    tzviya: we have talked about HTML WG about validation issues
    but not ready yet
    ... Charles had talked about meeting with SVG group

    <Bill_Kasdorf> I changed On: Peter and Madi to On: Bill and
    Madi for Friday morning metadata session at TPAC

    clapierre: I don't know what the status is there

    <Bill_Kasdorf> . . . in the agenda on the wiki

    clapierre: since they're there we could find out about a11y in
    SVG

    mgylling: anyone here on that group? I'll take the action

    <scribe> ACTION: mgylling to reach out to SVG about a11y
    [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2014/09/29-dpub-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-26 - Reach out to svg about a11y [on
    Markus Gylling - due 2014-10-06].

    mgylling: if you have more agenda items, let us know
    ... sorry to be over time.

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: mgylling to reach out to SVG about a11y [recorded
    in [14]http://www.w3.org/2014/09/29-dpub-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [15]scribe.perl version
     1.138 ([16]CVS log)
     $Date: 2014-09-29 19:12:33 $
      __________________________________________________________

      [15] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [16] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

    [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11
Check for newer version at [17]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/
scribe/

      [17] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Dan ???/Dan Whaley/
Succeeded: s/Peter ???/Peter Murray-Rust/
Succeeded: s/???/eLife/
Succeeded: s/literate/literature/
Succeeded: s/Ishidia/Ishida/
Found ScribeNick: dauwhe
Inferring Scribes: dauwhe
Default Present: +1.206.675.aaaa, astearns, clapierre, fjh, dauwhe, Mark
us, +1.217.300.aabb, dkaplan3, MikeMiller, murakami, pkra, Ivan, david_s
troup, +33.4.92.38.aacc, +1.917.770.aadd, Bill_Kasdorf, astein, Bert, +1
.201.236.aaee, bjdmeest, pbelfanti, LauraD, madi, Liam, Tzviya, liza, tm
ichel, TimCole
Present: +1.206.675.aaaa astearns clapierre fjh dauwhe Markus +1.217.300
.aabb dkaplan3 MikeMiller murakami pkra Ivan david_stroup +33.4.92.38.aa
cc +1.917.770.aadd Bill_Kasdorf astein Bert +1.201.236.aaee bjdmeest pbe
lfanti LauraD madi Liam Tzviya liza tmichel TimCole
Regrets: Luc Graham Phil Thierry Vladimir Rob Julie
Agenda: [18]http://www.w3.org/mid/5424F804.6080000@gmail.com
Found Date: 29 Sep 2014
Guessing minutes URL: [19]http://www.w3.org/2014/09/29-dpub-minutes.html
People with action items: mgylling

      [18] http://www.w3.org/mid/5424F804.6080000@gmail.com
      [19] http://www.w3.org/2014/09/29-dpub-minutes.html


    [End of [20]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

      [20] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Monday, 29 September 2014 19:21:27 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 25 April 2017 10:44:20 UTC