Re: [METADATA] Updated draft for review

Hey Bill,

Concentrating on the two recommendation bullet items:

- The vocabulary/schema.org item:
	- it is not really clear *what* is put forward here as a proposal. "develop an optimal way for book publishers to embed appropriate and useful metadata in Web content based on the well known and widely implemented ONIX model." is a bit too general for me, I think we need some more specific goals.
	Are we talking about making the bridges with the schema.org vocabulary? Are we talking about proposing new terms to schema.org to make such bridging possible? Are we talking about contributing to an RDF mapping of (a subset of) ONIX to make it more palatable to RDFa, JSON-LD? All of the above?
	It is not 100% clear to me what the BISG group is aiming to do, and how what they do maps to these issues. Maybe Graham and/or Julie can comment on that.

	- are we talking about ONIX (ie, books) only, or do we want to enlarge the scope to magazines and such? The latter would be good, but I am not sure we can handle it...

- The 'educate publishers' item:
	- I think it is worth emphasizing that the publishers do not act in a vacuum here. We should make a survey of the various primers and documents that already exist and may be relevant to help the community finding their ways. The long discussion on identifiers is certainly an indication of the various issues that could be discussed.

I have some editorial issues, too. I presume that, in the new structure, the current section 6 should go altogether. Is it o.k. if I do some editorial changes or do you prefer to keep the pen for now?

Ivan

On 26 Sep 2014, at 17:32 , Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com> wrote:

> Hi, Folks—
>
> Based on a discussion Ivan, Tzviya, Madi and I had, I have updated the early draft of the "Metadata Task Force Report" on GitHub [1].
>
> The only changes are:
>
> --Added an Overview section at the beginning.
>
> --Added a placeholder for a section in which we will provide brief explanations of publishing industry terms and concepts that might not be familiar to W3C folks ("ONIX," etc.), linking to fuller explanations in a glossary at the end of the document and also to relevant web resources.
>
> Currently, the balance of that report is unchanged: a summary of what was concluded in the interviews Madi and I did, followed by an appendix consisting of Madi's report and my reports of the individual interviews that I did.
>
> THIS IS ALL A DRAFT.
>
> Although we intend this to be the starting point for the document we will ultimately provide to the W3C, it is likely to be changed significantly.
>
> This is intended to be a vehicle for discussion, in three contexts:
>
> --Discussion of issues on the list. Please keep those issues granular: start a new thread with a new subject line when there is a new topic, prefixed by [METADATA].
>
> --Continual update of the document in GitHub as appropriate.
>
> --Discussion at the F2F at TPAC.
>
> Please take a look and comment. Thanks!
>
> --Bill Kasdorf
>
> [1] http://w3c.github.io/dpub-metadata/