W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-digipub-ig@w3.org > September 2014

Re: [Minutes] 2014-09-08 Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:15:27 +0200
Cc: Thierry Michel <tmichel@w3.org>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Message-Id: <BE4ADF3A-50F0-4BD2-8567-A428E76233DF@w3.org>
To: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Added.

ivan

On 15 Sep 2014, at 16:37 , Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com> wrote:

> I gave regrets (offline).
> 
> regards, Frederick
> 
> Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
> @fjhirsch
> 
> 
> 
> On Sep 8, 2014, at 12:49 PM, Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org> wrote:
> 
>> Hi all,
>> 
>> The minutes of the Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference dated 2014-09-08 are now available at
>> 
>> 	http://www.w3.org/2014/09/08-dpub-minutes.html
>> 
>> These public minutes are also linked from the dpub wiki
>> 	http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Meetings
>> 
>> Also find these minutes in a text version following, for your convenience.
>> 
>> Best,
>> 
>> Thierry Michel
>> 
>> ----------------------------
>> 
>>  [1]W3C
>> 
>>     [1] http://www.w3.org/
>> 
>>           Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference
>> 
>> 08 Sept 2014
>> 
>>  [2]Agenda
>> 
>>     [2] http://www.w3.org/mid/5409D195.6000902@gmail.com
>> 
>>  See also: [3]IRC log
>> 
>>     [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/09/08-dpub-irc
>> 
>>  Attendees:
>>         [4]Phil Madans (philm), [5]Ivan Herman (Ivan),
>>         [6]Deborah Kaplan (dkaplan3), [7]Brady Duga (duga),
>>         [8]Markus Gylling (mgylling), [9]Tzviya Siegman
>>         (tzviya), [10]Liza Daly (liza),  [11]Luc Audrain (Luc),
>>         [12]Charles LaPierre (clapierre), [13]Bill Kasdorf
>>         (Bill_Kasdorf), [14]Shinyu Murakami (murakami),
>>         [15]Julie Morris (Julie) , [16]Madi Solomon (madi),
>>         [17]Liam Quin (Liam), [18]David Stroup (david_stroup),
>>         [19]Tom De Nies (TomDN), [20]Paul Belfanti (pBelfanti),
>>         [21]Vladimir Levantovsky (Vlad), [22]Akshat Joshi
>>         (AkshatJoshi), [23]Thierry Michel (tmichel), [24]Ben Ko
>>         (benjaminsko),[25] Robert Sanderson (azaroth),
>>         [26]Patrick_Pagano (Patrick_Pagano),
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Phil_Madans
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Ivan_Herman
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Deborah_Kaplan
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Brady_Duga
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Markus_Gylling
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Tzviya_Siegman
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Liza_Daly
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Luc_Audrain
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Charles_LaPierre
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Bill_Kasdorf
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Shinyu_Murakami
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Julie_Morris
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Madi_Solomon
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Liam_Quin
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/David_Stroup
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Tom_De_Nies
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Paul_Belfanti
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Vladimir_Levantovsky
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Akshat_Joshi
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Thierry_Michel
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Ben_Ko
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Robert_Sanderson
>>        http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Patrick_Pagano
>> 
>>         +1.917.447.aaaa,+1.718.701.aaee, +91.99.70.18.aadd,
>>         +33.6.48.38.aabb,  +1.734.904.aacc,
>> 
>>  Regrets:
>>         Dave Cramer (dauwhe), Alan Stearns (Stearns), Peter
>>         Krautzberger (pkra), Karen Myers (Karen_Myers),Michael
>>         Miller (Mike).
>> 
>>  Chair
>>         Markus Gylling (mgylling)
>> 
>>  Scribe
>>         Julie Morris (Julie)
>> 
>> Contents
>> 
>>    * [27]Topics
>>    * [28]Summary of Action Items
>>    __________________________________________________________
>> 
>>  <trackbot> Date: 08 September 2014
>> 
>>  <ivan> scribenick: julie
>> 
>>  <liza> I volunteer for next time I'm on the call since I'm no
>>  longer chairing (but I'll be out next week)
>> 
>>  Markus: any objections to previous week's minutes- none,
>>  approved
>> 
>>  MGilling: Bill K. will review first draft of metadata TF
>> 
>>  PF meeting last week
>> 
>>  two topics: 1) role attributes
>> 
>>  <AkshatJ> sorry.. but aaad is Akshat Joshi from India
>> 
>>  Tzviya: had a call to determine next steps with protocols and
>>  formats
>> 
>>  <AkshatJ> thank ivan :)
>> 
>>  some of documentation more formal than what group's
>>  documentation has been in the past
>> 
>>  Tzviya is working on formalizing ideas on why it's necessary to
>>  include several shared terms within the vocab for DPIG and PF
>> 
>>  she will have the document to share with all next week
>> 
>>  MGylling: what do you see as the end result for this work?
>> 
>>  Tzviya: goal is to figure out a way to refine HTML terms to
>>  give them a bit more digital publishing-specific meaning
>> 
>>  meaningful for educational content
>> 
>>  read-aloud functionality, defining behaviors for a sighted or
>>  non-sighted reader
>> 
>>  <mgylling> btw, recap:
>>  [29]https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/StructuralSemantics#Approac
>>  hes:Solution_Criteria_and_Options
>> 
>>    [29] https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/StructuralSemantics#Approaches:Solution_Criteria_and_Options
>> 
>>  MGylling: either HTML5 needs to change, or EPUB spec will
>>  override the HTML5 spec
>>  ... when should EPUB be addressed... should we wait or act
>>  simultaneously with PF
>> 
>>  Tzviya: want to avoid drawing out process
>>  ... should timeline be part of document (for recommeded changes
>>  to HTML)
>> 
>>  <ivan> +1 to Markus
>> 
>>  MGylling: at minimum, recognize the overlap and importance of
>>  timing
>> 
>>  Deborah: Tzviya has covered most of issues, there are some
>>  other issues specific to accessibility, the Access. TF will be
>>  scheduling a meeting ASAP to address
>>  ... there may be some overlap with work that happens in PF, we
>>  will make sure the overlap is dealt with, but that these issues
>>  are also somewhat separate from PF
>>  ... will connect with Judy Brewer
>> 
>>  <Zakim> liam, you wanted to mention HTML accessibility tf
>> 
>>  Liam: mentioned accessibility TF, may be some connections
>> 
>>  Bill K: metadata report draft...
>> 
>>  Materials in GitHub now, Ivan has agreed to co-read and co-edit
>> 
>>  scribe: now open to the whole DPIG to contribute
>> 
>>  <ivan> [30]http://w3c.github.io/dpub-metadata/ : report
>> 
>>    [30] http://w3c.github.io/dpub-metadata/
>> 
>>  scribe: three things currently there: 1) interview summary;
>>  interviews with people from a variety of publishing sectors on
>>  the pain points in metadata; 2) Madi Solomon's interviews of
>>  people within Pearson + her report; 3) Bill K and Madi S's
>>  conclusions for what needs to be done
>>  ... question is now what to recommend to the W3C for possible
>>  action, grounded in interviews and summary
>>  ... trade mainly concerned about discovery, educational focused
>>  on asset & content management, scholarly sees it as more or
>>  less a solved problem, news orgs. feel an urgency to write
>>  metadata
>>  ... summary not intended to be editorial, should be unbiased
>>  report of what was heard. Next step is to move ahead with
>>  recommendations
>>  ... looking for feedback from the IG
>> 
>>  <ivan> [31]Initial recommendations
>> 
>>    [31] http://w3c.github.io/dpub-metadata/#initial-recommendations
>> 
>>  scribe: futile for the w3C to establish vocabularies when there
>>  are existing vocabularies that work
>>  ... idea of schema.org a good example, the TF does believe
>>  schema.org can be enhanced with data used in ONIX
>>  ... but not necessarily as an "ONIX lite"
>>  ... some of ONIX is relevant, others not,
>> 
>>  <madi> Must run. Thank you Bill and Ivan.
>> 
>>  BISG is setting up a working group to identify the most
>>  essential ONIX elements to be carried forward to schema.org
>>  additions
>> 
>>  scribe: will work with W3C to figure out where to take it from
>>  there
>> 
>>  Ivan: will have to figure out how the W3C and BISG will work
>>  together for mutual benefit to accomplish this
>> 
>>  Bill K: good thing that BIll, Julie, Graham, and Laura Dawson
>>  all members of both BISG schema.org WG and W3C DPIG
>> 
>>  Bill K; next step to identify priorities
>> 
>>  <pbelfanti> apologies, need to drop
>> 
>>  <ivan> Richard Wallis is the person to talk to
>> 
>>  linked data for libraries project w/OCLC
>> 
>>  scribe: how will this work interact with current work going on
>>  there?
>> 
>>  <ivan> [32]list of participants in the schemabibtex group
>> 
>>    [32] http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/participants
>> 
>>  Laura: work at OCLC spearheaded by Richard Wallis, was heavily
>>  library-centric
>> 
>>  <azaroth> +1 to trying (again :) ) to breaking down the silos
>>  :)
>> 
>>  Bill K: library community far ahead of publishing in linked
>>  data space
>> 
>>  <dkaplan3> +1 to synthesizing library and publisher needs, and
>>  working with lib linked dasta people
>> 
>>  Tzviya: ?'s about overall metadata TF document...
>> 
>>  some are issues IG can approach and some are not
>> 
>>  scribe: burdensomeness of metadata related to lack of metadata
>>  traveling with content
>> 
>>  Bill K: important to note different types of metadata; some
>>  lives with content
>> 
>>  Tzviya: inconsistency also develops with lack of
>>  rules/standards, i.e. ISO dates
>> 
>>  Bill K: metadata associated with publication at a high level
>>  also needs to be associated with chunks within the content
>> 
>>  these are DB issues that are not necessarily DPIG issues
>> 
>>  Ivan: WRT creating URLs or URL-like structures, these should be
>>  used for metadata
>>  ... needs to be emphasized in the document the connections
>>  between annotations
>> 
>>  Bill K: need comments about what W3C recommendations should
>>  focus on, i.e. schema.org work
>> 
>>  scribe: i.e. what recommendations within the document are W3C
>>  issues
>> 
>>  MGylling: Tzviya could repeat her comments in an email as a
>>  start?
>> 
>>  Tzviya will do
>> 
>>  Ivan: IG can use the tracker to discuss/manage specific issues,
>>  so any email that goes through the IG referencing this issue
>>  will be logged
>>  ... if there are changes, these should be added directly to
>>  GitHub
>>  ... tracker should be used to properly record issues
>> 
>>  MGylling: final agenda item - agenda for TPAC
>> 
>>  <azaroth> :) Thank you Tzviya
>> 
>>  MGylling: IG has had good progress for finding a replacement
>>  co-chair, but not formally decided-- Tzviya will soon be able
>>  to step up as co-chair
>> 
>>  <Luc> +1
>> 
>>  Tzviya will be there and help lead TPAC
>> 
>>  <philm> +1
>> 
>>  +1
>> 
>>  <Bill_Kasdorf> Hooray!!
>> 
>>  MGylling: ... which other WGs should the IG try to set up
>>  meetings with
>> 
>>  proposed draft of agenda for next meeting
>> 
>>  <azaroth> The overlap with Annotations is so high I'm not sure
>>  that there's any need to have a formal, separate meeting?
>> 
>>  scribe: WG's to meet with: Protocols and Formats, CSS,
>>  ... agenda for CSS? draft of pagination requirements to present
>>  to them
>> 
>>  Tzviya: just a few elements ready most likley
>>  ... HTML WG, meeting re-validation issues a possibility
>>  ... Ivan will help identify who on HTML are key to meet with
>>  ... Liam may be able to identify Accessibility TF contacts
>>  ...Ivan: is pagination discussion something that would require
>>  changes on the dom level?
>> 
>>  <liam> [i'm the staff contact for the html accessibility tf]
>> 
>>  MGylling: what about Annotations? Ivan: WG will have meeting on
>>  Tues
>>  ... large degree of overlap between Annotations and DPIG, but
>>  not specific topics to discuss at this point
>> 
>>  Charlie LaPierre: possible meeting between diagrams team and
>>  accessibility team re-SVG attribution
>> 
>>  scribe: accessibility WG meeting on Th & Fri.
>> 
>>  Ahn Bui at Benetech on accessibility team
>> 
>>  <azaroth> +1 :)
>> 
>>  scribe: Benetech has offered to have an after-meeting gathering
>> 
>>  at some point during the week
>> 
>>  Tzviya: what about internationalization?
>> 
>>  Right-left and Vertical-right are huges issues
>> 
>>  scribe: pagination could be a topic to reach out to that group
>>  for help on
>> 
>>  Ivan: F2F this week in Beijing on Chinese requirements
>>  ... only one character set, but an important one
>> 
>>  MGylling: co-chairs and Ivan will produce a proposed agenda
>>  next week, open to suggestions
>>  ... thanks everyone, until next Monday
>> 
>>  [end of call]
>> 
>> Summary of Action Items
>> 
>>  [End of minutes]
>>    __________________________________________________________
>> 
>> 
>>   Minutes formatted by David Booth's [33]scribe.perl version
>>   1.138 ([34]CVS log)
>>   $Date: 2014-09-08 16:47:25 $
>>    __________________________________________________________
>> 
>>    [33] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
>>    [34] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
>> 
>> Scribe.perl diagnostic output
>> 
>>  [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
>> This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11
>> Check for newer version at [35]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/
>> scribe/
>> 
>>    [35] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/
>> 
>> Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)
>> 
>> Succeeded: s/minimun/minimum/
>> Succeeded: s/[last name?]/Brewer/
>> Found ScribeNick: julie
>> Inferring Scribes: julie
>> 
>> WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.
>> 
>> 
>> WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
>> Possibly Present: AkshatJ AkshatJoshi Askok_Bandyopadhyay Bill_Kasdorf D
>> eborah Ivan Julie Laura Luc MGilling MGylling Markus P0 P2 P22 P24 P6 Pa
>> trick_Pagano Ruben TomDN Vlad aaaa aabb aacc aadd aaee astearns_ azaroth
>> benjaminsko brady_duga clapierre clapierre1 dauwhe david_stroup dkaplan
>> 3 dpub duga joined liam liza madi murakami pBelfanti pagano philm plinss
>> scribenick tmichel trackbot tzviya
>> You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
>>       <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
>>       <dbooth> Present+ amy
>> 
>> 
>> WARNING: Replacing previous Regrets list. (Old list: Dave_Cramer, Peter_
>> Krautzberger, Tim_Cole, Karen_Myers, Alan_Stearns, Mike_Miller)
>> Use 'Regrets+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the lis
>> t,
>> such as: <dbooth> Regrets+ Dave, Alan, Peter, Karen, Mike
>> 
>> Regrets: Dave Alan Peter Karen Mike
>> Agenda: [36]http://www.w3.org/mid/5409D195.6000902@gmail.com
>> Found Date: 08 Sep 2014
>> Guessing minutes URL: [37]http://www.w3.org/2014/09/08-dpub-minutes.html
>> People with action items:
>> 
>>    [36] http://www.w3.org/mid/5409D195.6000902@gmail.com
>>    [37] http://www.w3.org/2014/09/08-dpub-minutes.html
>> 
>> WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!
>> Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.
>> 
>> Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of
>> new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
>> <dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>  [End of [38]scribe.perl diagnostic output]
>> 
>>    [38] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
>> 
>> 
> 
> 


----
Ivan Herman, W3C 
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
GPG: 0x343F1A3D
WebID: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf#me






Received on Monday, 15 September 2014 16:16:02 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 25 April 2017 10:44:20 UTC