RE: TPAC meeting

Thanks, Graham. I'm copying the group because if you'd stayed connected you would have said this in the meeting!
--Bill

From: Graham Bell [mailto:graham@editeur.org]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 1:42 PM
To: Ivan Herman; Bill Kasdorf; Madi Solomon
Subject: TPAC meeting

Sorry, had to drop off the Zakim line at 23 minutes past the hour, and cannot not reconnect for some reason. My apologies.

You were mentioning, Ivan, a possible 'RDFization' of ONIX. This is something that EDItEUR plans to document.

-- I would mostly agree with the point that Bill K made, that few publishers are aware of the work in the library community (eg that by Tim and Richard)
-- awareness of RDF is very low among commercial publishers (even academic publishers)
-- it is unlikely to be the widespread choice of syntax for publishers
-- I think some of the RDF expression of ONIX may well grow out of the same BISG group that is considering the mapping of ONIX to schema.org<http://schema.org>

The approach for that group will be to a) develop use cases and identify a relevant subset of ONIX b) investigate how much of that subset can be mapped to existing schema.org<http://schema.org> properties and then potentially c) suggest extensions to the schema.org<http://schema.org> vocabularies and classes. The group's will begin a) during November, but its work is expected to take at least 6 months and  probably a year.

I'm actually not connected to the internet at the moment (taking a holiday weekend -- I'm in a remote Yorkshire valley, and even the phone connection was fairly poor). Sorry. This message will get sent when I can reconnect.

Oh, NB, the Zakim bridge used to have a UK dial-in node ( +44 117 370 6152 I believe). Does this still work? I tried that number, but the call was not picked up.

Graham

Graham Bell
EDItEUR

Tel: +44 20 7503 6418