From: Ivan Herman [mailto:ivan@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:52 AM
To: W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: An unexpected usage of EPUB:-)

I realized today a strange thing when using Mac' Pages program (that is a Word-like program for Mac, produced by Apple, although infinitely simpler than Word). Pages has various export functionalities. To my surprise, it does not have an HTML export; to my even greater (and pleasant) surprise, it has an EPUB export. Which makes sense if the document contains drawings, for example.

This is pretty much in line with our thoughts on epub.next, and also has a side effect. If one wants simply an HTML from a text only page, then generate the EPUB, unzip it, and there you have the HTML...

:-)

Digital Publishing Activity Lead