Re: [Page DOM] page counters across multiple documents

On 18/11/2014 12:45 , Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken wrote:
> What about a publication that includes cross-references to every
> figure? Consider also that, terms like "figure" and the figure
> numbering are (ideally) generated by CSS in both the link and the
> target (with a little scripting help). . Probably it will process
> once and then cache, but would it be a long and painful process?

Yes, that's the sort of stuff I had in mind: ReSpec can autogenerate
links to figures, tables, sections — that sort of stuff. It's less
complex than page numbers since it doesn't touch rendering but it's the
same core problem.

Whether it would be long and painful completely depends on how much
cross-referencing you're doing, whether you need to render (or get close
enough to rendering that you can paginate), what your platform is, etc.
Doing page numbering on the multipage version of HTML5 on, say, a Kindle
3 is going to be pretty long and painful, yes.

And then again, if I understand the case that Dave has in mind you'd
have to do that for every font-size and device orientation too since
it's not a mapping to print page numbers either :)