[metadata] yet another vocabulary coming up?

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:32:24 +0100
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
To: Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>
It may be old news for you, but it is new to me...

I have just ran across

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/modsrdf/
https://github.com/blunalucero/MODS-RDF/

We clearly do not have enough vocabularies to choose from:-)

Interestingly,

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods-overview.html

says:

[[[
MODS is intended to complement other metadata formats. For some applications, particularly those that have used MARC records, there will be advantages over other metadata schemes. Some advantages are:

	 The element set is richer than Dublin Core
	 The element set is more compatible with library data than ONIX
	 The schema is more end user oriented than the full MARCXML schema
	 The element set is simpler than the full MARC format
]]]

which would make it highly relevant for this community, too; after all, both ONIX and Dublin Core are widely used by publishers...

We should pick up the discussion on whether we want to give some sort of an overview of existing vocabularies.

ivan

Digital Publishing Activity Lead
GPG: 0x343F1A3D
FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf