Re: DPUB Interest Group | Accessibility review of Open Annotations - Action Item

Hi Rich and all,

Thanks for this!

My immediate concern is a mismatch in expectations about the scope of the
accessibility for annotations.  Your comments all seem fair, but only take
into account one usage scenario and implementation strategy -- a reading
system displaying an EPUB with inline annotations on text only, where the
fact that the span is an annotation is considered important to record in
that content.  One could imagine that as the annotations will be supplied
externally to the epub, that there will be many different implementations,
each of which would be able to address accessibility /before/ manipulating
the content to be rendered for the user.

I certainly agree with your third bullet, as an implementation neutral
constraint.  Did you have any opinions on how well this issue is addressed
by the use of CSS styles within the annotation model?

Many thanks,

Rob