Re: schema.org and ONIX...

On 14 Apr 2014, at 16:19 , Julie Morris <Julie@bisg.org> wrote:

> Gerardo, this is excellent!  http://www.a11ymetadata.org/the-specification/metadata-crosswalk/
>
> In our conversations about schema.org and ONIX within BISG, we’ve been looking at both accessibility and LRMI metadata in schema.org in particular, because it seems to map quite easily to ONIX, and use cases are immediately apparent. It looks like your work with the crosswalk accomplishes exactly what we had in mind for the accessibility portion.
>
> Our Common Core Working Group is about to publish a document with recommendations for Common Core in ONIX, which contains a table mapping essential ONIX metadata for educational standards to the schema.org/LRMI properties. It should be ready within a month, and I will share it once it’s complete.

So we have this upcoming Common Core, we have the subset of Hachette Luc was referring to... we seem to converge towards a mini-ONIX:-)

> One thing that we came across within the Common Core work, and that I think will come up again as more ONIX elements are mapped toschema.org, is that because of the distinct purposes of ONIX and schema.org, a 1:1 mapping is not always possible, or useful. This may be obvious, but wanted to point it out in any case.

Yes. There were some other such schema.org mapping (bibliography, good relations, others) where I believe people had similar experiences.

I am happy to see things progressing...

Ivan