Re: The AAP EPUB 3 Implementation Project

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 17:57:04 -0600
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>

Ivan,

This is a great. Going forward we will be able to expand on ePub's
accessibility capabilities. For example, SVG 2 now has ARIA and tabindex in
the spec. In the future we will be able to roll this support into books. A
big issue will be getting open source MathML readers (voice) and renders -
preferably based on SVG as it is a good fit for mobile. Access to digital
math by the blind and those with attention deficit would benefit from
having this capability. In fact we recently did a study for the Department
of Education. The ability for students to have Math navigable through
highlighting and speech improved math comprehension by 10-15 percent across
the board.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger