Re: [Styling and Layout] new use case added: Lists, Outline Lists

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 16:42:30 +0100
Cc: Jean Kaplansky <Jean.Kaplansky@aptaracorp.com>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
To: Dave Cramer <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com>

On 17 Dec 2013, at 16:28 , Cramer, Dave <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com> wrote:

<snip/>

>> I donít think this use case starts with the CSS group. It should start with the HTML group where the markup can be modeled effectively. UAís can then use browser default CSS to support the markup.
>
> You mentioned above that it might be OK for an outline list to be marked up as ol with a special type attribute. Does that make this a case where the problem isn't so much that HTML needs a new list structure, but that HTML needs a better/more standard mechanism for adding semantic information to existing markup?

Right. And this is where this issue meets the use cases edited by Tzviya, and the discussion we had in Shenzhen. I think the conclusion is that it *is* possible to define 'dash' attributes for HTML5; ie, it is possible to

- decide to use the idpf-type (or whatever) attribute (and possibly others)
- define the possible values for the attribute(s)
- a reputable group like, say, IDPF or a W3C group, document this precisely

After that, the HTML5 WG would accept that as a bona fide extension, and the attribute name(s) as well as the possible values are incorporated in the various HTML validators (including a check whether the attribute values are o.k.). This is what Markus referred to as the 'ITS model'...

Digital Publishing Activity Lead
GPG: 0x343F1A3D
FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf