RE: [Styling and Layout] new use case added: Lists, Outline Lists

Good catch!

From: Jean Kaplansky [mailto:Jean.Kaplansky@aptaracorp.com]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 7:37 PM
To: DPUB
Subject: [Styling and Layout] new use case added: Lists, Outline Lists

http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/UseCase_Directory#Lists

Goes to

http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Lists

Where I have added a use case for Outline Lists that Tzviya and I discussed last week. It occurred to us that only the most rudimentary outline lists are currently supported in HTML5 with UA defaults and CSS. We can certainly use CSS to imply more specific outlining scenarios, but publishers, especially STM and legal publishers, often distinguish between regular ordered lists and highly specific outlines. For example, many hierarchical outline concatenate list item numbers based on point in hierarchy, so you could have  list with items 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.a, 1.b, 1.c. Right now, there's no OOTB way to do this in HTML5 without building custom CSS to imply the hierarchy.

Please let Tzviya or I know any questions about this use case.

Thanks,

Jean Kaplansky
Digital Content Solutions Architect, Aptara

Invited Expert Member  l  W3C Digital Publishing Interest Group
Task Force Lead  l  W3C Digital Publishing MathML/STM Interest Group
Member  l  IDPF Indexing and Open Annotations EDUPUB Working Groups,
BISG Content Structure Committee, STC, and SSP

jean.kaplansky@aptaracorp.com<mailto:jean.kaplansky@aptaracorp.com>
+1.518.487.9670
Skype: JeanKaplansky
Twitter: @JeanKaplansky