Re: [metadata] FYI: BIBTEX Update at the LoC

Hi Bill, all,

I'd like to stress the *today* part of the *essential*ness.

DOIs solve, to a certain extent, the persistence of URIs in scholarly
communication by introducing a central resolving site (dx.doi.org) that
takes the DOI and redirects you to the publisher's site.  Which is great
... until dx.doi.org goes down and we have gazillions of broken links.
 It's simply kicking the can down the road a bit, rather than providing a
web platform level solution.

As Crossref clearly won't give our their cash cow (the rules and mappings
for the resolution), when they do go away, we'll be left with an *awful*
mess on our hands.

And I'd also like to stress that it takes you to /something/ not
necessarily the content.  This makes it worthless for (e.g.) use as the
identity for an Annotation's target.  You don't know whether you'll end up
at an HTML splash page, a 403 forbidden, a PDF or any other representation.
 There are also DOIs that no longer resolve to anything (404), and DOIs
that publishers create that aren't recognized by the resolver (we ran into
several at Wiley last week in this category).  There's also no
differentiation made between the content and metadata about the content --
you can (poorly) do content negotiation for various metadata formats on the
same URI as you use to get the ... whatever it is that the DOI resolves to
for you at that point in time.

DOI is basically a slightly more refined bit.ly or other URL shortener and
has exactly the same issues that relying on one of them would have.  The
"essentialness" is entirely political rather than technical -- publishers
aren't good at persistent URIs and have less reason to invest in the web
architecture itself as DOI is currently solving their problem for them.

I'm being very negative in this thread, I realize, but Bibframe and DOI are
in my opinion two options to be avoided at all costs rather than embraced.

Rob