RE: [metadata] FYI: BIBTEX Update at the LoC

De : Tim Clark [mailto:tim_clark@harvard.edu]
Envoyé : jeudi 5 décembre 2013 14:09
À : Ivan Herman
Cc : W3C Digital Publishing IG
Objet : Re: [metadata] FYI: BIBTEX Update at the LoC

Agree this effort  is entirely and importantly relevant, and there are others such as CiTO the citation ontology,  as well.  I actually don't see any particular separation - there is a minimum an intersection.

If you look at scientific journal publishing, what is the difference between bibliographic info at publisher's website and at for example, NLM (National Library of Medicine)?

NLM has in addition to the "pure" bibliographic metadata, a lot of search-oriented stuff like MeSH terms; the abstracts; and interesting sort of "hidden" metadata like "most similar to what other publications".

No doubt publishers have a lot of process-oriented metadata, and there is likely other stuff I know nothing about.  But at least there is an important intersection set between libraries and publishers. Front matter of books always have ISBN, LOC or Brit Lib catalog number, etc. and you can expand out on common stuff from there.

Tim Clark

Director, Biomedical Informatics Core, Massachusetts General Hospital
Instructor in Neurology, Harvard Medical School