[metadata] FYI: BIBTEX Update at the LoC

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 13:44:22 +0100
To: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
I am not sure this is directly relevant to the Metadata Task Force discussion, but it may be of interest nevertheless:

http://www.loc.gov/bibframe/media/updateforum-nov22-2013.html

contains a fairly long video on LoC's BIBTEX initiative. Yes, it is library metadata, not publishers' metadata, but I guess one of the challenges in general is how to bring those together.

Eric Miller, who is one of the developers (and, actually, who led the Semantic Web Activity at W3C until 2007) makes a very high level case for the usage of a BIBTEX-like structure (starting around 49:00 in the video). His talk lacks technical details for my taste, but I guess that was the nature of the audience...

Digital Publishing Activity Lead
GPG: 0x343F1A3D
FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf