Re: Network Information API: Mozilla's proposal

On Jan 3, 2012, at 17:14 , Mounir Lamouri wrote:
> On 01/03/2012 03:48 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>>> In addition of those two attributes, there is a change event fired on the connection object when .bandwidth or .metered changes.
>>
>> Having some sense of the granularity that this exposes (bandwidth changes pretty much all the time) might be useful.
>
> In my implementation, bandwidth doesn't change quite often but I could understand some implementation might make this happen more often. I would be okay to have two events, though I wouldn't push for implementations that updates the bandwidth estimation too often.

I didn't mean that .bandwidth changes often, but rather that when monitoring the network the bandwidth you see changes quite often. I'm guessing that the way in which you're monitoring this causes the updates to .bandwidth to be somewhat throttled (either explicitly or as a by-product of how you're measuring it). Either way your concern is mine as well: it's not so useful if it flickers all the time.

>> One thing that would help here is if the spec had an editor! Any volunteers?
>
> Aren't you and Suresh Chitturi the current editors? If this information is incorrect, I _might_ volunteer.

It's not incorrect but we were editors by default, because no one stepped up to properly own this spec. That's not ideal. Your volunteering would be welcomed with much rejoicing and the purchase of beer.

>> Oh, and if you're going to keep making good proposals, you might as well join the group at some point ;-)
>
> I will try to raise that question during today's WebAPI meeting.

Excellent, thanks!