Re: [vibration] Preliminary thoughts on the vibrator spec

Maybe if we had a Settings or SysInfo API, the App could detect whether
vibration is on and if not make a request to change that setting to
'vibratorOn'. Also another possibility would be to do it through an intent

Thanks, best

El 16/11/11 10:55, "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com> escribió:

>[Do we really need to CC public-device-status? This work is normally part
>of public-device-apis and not the TF.]
>
>On Nov 16, 2011, at 10:45 , Deepanshu gautam wrote:
>> [DG] I don't quite understand "fingerprinting surface" in this context
>>but I guess you are referring to "added authorization" which may be a
>>concern for user privacy, correct me if I'm wrong? If I'm right then I
>>don't understand how it will increase "needed authorization"
>>specifically when user may/must have been authorized by so many other
>>existing ways before even start using the page/application in question
>>here. Vibration is just a part of the page/application which user must
>>be authorized/authenticated to use/consume.
>
>Fingerprinting is the practice of identifying a user without requiring
>cookies or other such identifier storage simply by looking at the
>properties publicly exposed by her user agent. A good demo is
>http://panopticlick.eff.org/.
>
>In general we try to avoid fingerprinting because it is a major privacy
>concern. I'm not convinced that fingerprinting is an issue in this
>specific case, however.
>
>> [DG] I'm sure there are reason for volume control to work this way. But
>>here, if vibrator is OFF (natively) user may never know (until notified)
>>that the page/application supports vibrations (this will degrade user
>>experience). And, if Vibration API can handle it without depending on
>>the OS, then why shouldn't it?? This is the model users already
>>understand, so I think we should reuse it.
>> [DG] Do you think user will not understand "Switch on Vibrator?, allow,
>>not-allow, allow-now, allow-forever"?
>
>I understand your use case but I don't see why it would have to be
>exposed to the web application. The user agent can, of its own accord,
>notice that a page is trying to use vibration (or sound, or whatever
>else) while it is turned off, and notify the user of the issue. UAs can
>get this right across the board whereas exposing it to pages means that
>poorly written apps that could use this functionality will forget to do
>so and leave the user in the cold, and poorly written apps that shouldn't
>use this functionality will use it and annoy users.
>
>> [DG] PS: Further, I can come up with many usecases where it will be
>>very beneficial for a web app to know if the device is muted, but that
>>not something we should put up here :-)
>
>If you have use cases, please be sure to send them (in a separate thread)
>as that topic is a deliverable of this group.
>
>--
>Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at.