Re: Seeking feedback on WebDriver Extension API integration into Generic Sensor API spec

Hi Wanming, All,

> On 15 Jan 2019, at 5.10, Lin, Wanming <wanming.lin@intel.com> wrote:
>
>> On January 14, 2019 6:29 PM, Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
>> wrote:

[...]

>> No concerns were raised. We can start integrating the WebDriver extension API
>> into the Generic Sensor API unless there are open issues/PRs in flight that'd be
>> easier to address in the standalone spec first.
>>
>> Wanming - I see one open issue for the extensions API
>> https://github.com/w3c/sensors/issues/371 but it seems to be v2 feature.
>> Correct? Any other open issues we should address prior to starting the
>> integration work?
>
> Many thanks for moving this forward!

Thank you for leading the editing effort.

> Yes, this should be a v2 feature, depending on request from real web developers that attempting to use this proposed feature.

Marked #371 as "Level 2" ~ "v2". That is to just say we can start extension integration before addressing issue #371.

> And I have one open issue in mind, the spec introduces new WebDriver errors[1], but WebDriver support[2] for new error types is still pending,
> Would this be a blocker for the integration work?

That is not a blocker, since the extensions to WebDriver error codes are clearly defined in the extension spec [1] and the WebDriver project is aware of this happening [2]. The eventual goal is to upstream generic errors to WebDriver if/when there's consensus in the group responsible for the WebDriver spec.

You can start crafting a PR to integrate the extension into the Generic Sensor API and seek PR review from the group when done. Since the standalone extension was widely reviewed, I expect only a light-weight review needed. Any questions, please reach out to the group.

Thanks,

-Anssi (DAS WG co-chair)