W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > October 2017

[admin] Draft minutes 5 Oct 2017 teleconference

From: Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 14:10:26 +0000
To: W3C Devices and Sensors WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Message-ID: <D17E4EA2-C0D8-40A0-9F52-CCD593BA313E@intel.com>
Hi All,

The draft minutes from today's teleconference are at: 

https://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html


And below the same in plain text format.

Thanks,

-Anssi (Device and Sensors WG Chair)



   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/


                               - DRAFT -

            Device and Sensors Working Group Teleconference

05 Oct 2017

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2017Oct/0006.html


   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-irc


Attendees

   Present
          dom, Anssi, Mikhail, Alex, Andrey_Logvinov

   Regrets
          Fuqiao

   Chair
          Anssi

   Scribe
          dom

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review,
            announcements
         2. [6]Minutes approval
         3. [7]Generic Sensors
         4. [8]Wake Lock
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <scribe> ScribeNick: dom

Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements

   Anssi: I'm your new chair
   ... since last Friday - would like to thank Frederick for his
   chairing over the past 8years!
   ... I'm humbled to continue from the excellent position where
   Frederick left the group
   ... The challenge as a group moving forward is attracting a
   more diverse community, incl. more implementors
   ... lots of good work and progress happening, looking forward
   to even more success
   ... currently we're running this call on a biweekly basis

   we've adjusted the time somewhat (1 hour earlier)

   scribe: I'm interested in hearing feedback on the schedule
   ... is it too often or not? should we move the call even
   earlier in the day given that we don't have US-based
   participants on the calls?

   Mikhail: we could take a more event-driven approach to
   scheduling - only schedule a meeting if there are specific
   topics to be discussed

   Anssi: we could use github issues to track items worthy of
   discussion
   ... I want to make sure we use our time productively
   ... Alex, Andrey, what are your thoughts?

   Alex: agree with Mikhail on the agenda policy
   ... current time works for me

   <Andrey_Logvinov> I agree on the agenda policy, current time is
   fine

   Alex: we don't have to wait for meetings to assign action
   points e.g. to do review of external specs

   Andrey: I agree on the agenda policy, current time is fine
   ... let's have meetings only when there are clear topics for
   discussion

   dom: I'm ok with an event-driven approach, but we need to be
   careful that calls have also a social function, not just a
   technical one

   Anssi: let's keep the slot open in our agendas
   ... but I'll take a more aggressive approach in canceling
   meetings
   ... I'll also think about how to make sure people can bring
   input to the agenda

   Alex: significant updates to the spec might be a trigger for
   having a call as well

   [11]Web Based BG proposal

     [11] http://www.w3.org/mid/120B74A8-66C3-4332-BE91-57204B07A722@lab.ntt.co.jp


   Anssi: the Web Based BG has approached us to bring two new
   deliverables to our next charter
   ... I responded based on offline discussions
   ... feel free to chime in if you have further feedback
   ... otherwise, we'll wait to hear back from them with responses
   and a possible timing for a call

   <anssik> response sent to Web-based BG
   [12]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/201

   7Oct/0005.html

     [12] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2017Oct/0005.html


   dom: the BG has been trying to bring their work to
   standardization, and identified DAS as one likely target
   ... I've invited them to send details to our list - please
   review their suggested specs and give feedback

   ACTION-809?

   <trackbot> ACTION-809 -- Alexander Shalamov to Review
   automotive specifications with regards to generic sensor api --
   due 2017-09-28 -- CLOSED

   <trackbot> [13]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/809


     [13] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/809


   Anssi: Alex unfortunately reviewed a spec that wasn't the
   latest one

   <anssik> [14]https://github.com/w3c/automotive/issues/239


     [14] https://github.com/w3c/automotive/issues/239


   Anssi: can you give us a high level overview of the results of
   your review?
   ... how relevant is it to our work?

   Alex: I was a bit upset by having been misled by the WG home
   page on which specs are relevant
   ... the latest specs (VISS and VIAS), which are clients to a
   Web Socket protocol, may have synergy in the future, but not
   just at the moment
   ... e.g. a user agent requesting an increase of the light on
   the back seat
   ... their approach to sensors is different - it assumes
   always-running sensors

   [15]https://www.w3.org/Submission/2016/SUBM-viwi-service-car-20

   161213/

     [15] https://www.w3.org/Submission/2016/SUBM-viwi-service-car-20161213/


   [16]https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification


     [16] https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification


   [17]https://w3c.github.io/automotive/vehicle_data/vehicle_infor

   mation_service.html

     [17] https://w3c.github.io/automotive/vehicle_data/vehicle_information_service.html


   Dom: sorry for the confusion; I think comparison with VISS in
   terms of interaction model might still be useful

   reopen ACTION-809

   <trackbot> Re-opened ACTION-809.

Minutes approval

   <anssik> proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 21 September 2017
   are approved

   RESOLUTION: Minutes from 21 September 2017 are approved
   [18]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/201

   7Sep/0024.html

     [18] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2017Sep/0024.html


   RESOLUTION: Minutes from 21 September 2017 are approved

Generic Sensors

   [19]Generic Sensor API Level 1 issues addressed

     [19] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2017Oct/0002.html


   Anssi: congrats on this milestone!

   [20]Generic Sensor API revised Working Draft published

     [20] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2017Oct/0004.html


   [21]Wide review tracker

     [21] https://github.com/w3c/sensors/issues/299


   Anssi: Wide review is requried prior to entering to CR
   ... and needs enough time for people to review, and time to
   integrate feedback
   ... the bug is to help us track what we need for the wide
   review

   [22]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/201

   7Aug/att-0017/das-review.pdf

     [22] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2017Aug/att-0017/das-review.pdf


   Anssi: last year we got TAG review on Generic Sensors & ALS
   ... I think we have addressed their feedback, but it would be
   great if the editors could double check

   [23]https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/110


     [23] https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/110


   [24]https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/115


     [24] https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/115


   Anssi: we should highlight the significant differences since
   the last review; the HTML diff is useless from that perspective

   <scribe> ACTION: Alex to review TAG feedback for Generic Sensor
   / ALS and prepare list of changes for next review with Mikhail
   [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action01]

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action01


   <trackbot> Error finding 'Alex'. You can review and register
   nicknames at <[26]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/users>.

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/users


   Dom: I don't think we need to go through the I18N questionnaire
   given the scope of our spec
   ... likewise A11Y told us last year they didn't see
   intersection of ALS & Generic sensor
   ... so we may want to notify them, butI don't think we need to
   go through their questionnaire

   <scribe> ACTION: Alexander to review TAG feedback for Generic
   Sensor / ALS and prepare list of changes for next review with
   Mikhail [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action02]

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action02


   <trackbot> Created ACTION-812 - Review tag feedback for generic
   sensor / als and prepare list of changes for next review with
   mikhail [on Alexander Shalamov - due 2017-10-12].

   Anssi: quick update on implementations and getting feedback on
   the spec

   Mikhail: Origin trial will start with Chrome M63
   ... it should reach Chrome beta in November
   ... Origin trial lasts for 3 releases in a row, can be extended
   if needed
   ... so we expect it to be at least until M65

   Alex: which means spring next year

   Anssi: there is a questionnaire built into the origin trial

   Alex: there is Web fundamentals article from which we already
   got some feedback
   ... one of the feedback was the difficulty in getting examples
   of concrete sensors - which we fixed in the explainers

   dom: looking at organizing an interview with Kenneth on the
   specs fyi

   Anssi: moving on to level 2 issues (not addressed in the
   implementation of origin trial)

   Mikhail: the level 2 issues are mostly extension of current
   functionalities - they shouldn't change the API shape
   ... two main features under discussion: service worker support
   and discovery

Wake Lock

   Dom: are we ready to transition Wake Lock to CR?

   Andrey: yes

   <scribe> ACTION: Dom to work with Anssi on requesting
   transition of Wake Lock to CR [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action03]

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action03


   <trackbot> Created ACTION-813 - Work with anssi on requesting
   transition of wake lock to cr [on Dominique Hazaƫl-Massieux -
   due 2017-10-12].

   Dom: implementation plans?

   Andrey: haven't started yet - will recontact my Google contacts
   to see if they still want to do it themselves or not

   Toipc: Rechartering

   [29]Draft new charter

     [29] http://w3c.github.io/dap-charter/DeviceAPICharter.html


   Anssi: charter expires by the end of the year

   <scribe> ... new charter adds new deliverables (geo v2,
   finishing up device orientation)

   UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: plan would be to extend the charter until Jan
   so that we can get feedback at TPAC before starting the review
   process
   ... please bring up issues and discuss

   Dom: plan would be to go for a one-year charter to demonstrate
   take up of our work

   Anssi: we MAY have a call in two weeks

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Alex to review TAG feedback for Generic Sensor /
   ALS and prepare list of changes for next review with Mikhail
   [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Alexander to review TAG feedback for Generic
   Sensor / ALS and prepare list of changes for next review with
   Mikhail [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to work with Anssi on requesting transition
   of Wake Lock to CR [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action03]

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action01

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action02

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html#action03


Summary of Resolutions

    1. [33]Minutes from 21 September 2017 are approved
       https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/201

       7Sep/0024.html
    2. [34]Minutes from 21 September 2017 are approved

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [35]scribe.perl version
    1.152 ([36]CVS log)
    $Date: 2017/10/05 14:03:56 $
     __________________________________________________________

     [35] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

     [36] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/


Scribe.perl diagnostic output

   [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15
Check for newer version at [37]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/

scribe/

     [37] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/


Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Michail/Mikhail/
Succeeded: s/ea/ear/
Succeeded: s/chai/khai/
Succeeded: s/Alex/Mikhail/
Present: dom Anssi Mikhail Alex Andrey_Logvinov
Regrets: Fuqiao
Found ScribeNick: dom
Inferring Scribes: dom
Agenda: [38]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2017

Oct/0006.html
Found Date: 05 Oct 2017
Guessing minutes URL: [39]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html

People with action items: alex alexander dom

     [38] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2017Oct/0006.html

     [39] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-dap-minutes.html



   [End of [40]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

     [40] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm




Received on Thursday, 5 October 2017 14:11:17 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:10 UTC