Re: [admin] Welcome to the Device APIs WG!

Hello!

> Lukasz
>
> Welcome to the Device APIs Working Group!

Welcome!

> If you have not already done so, please review the group charter  [1],
>  the public working group page and its roadmap [2], and the  approved and
> draft meeting  minutes [3]. The working group page has information on our
> meetings  [4], including our teleconferences. You will want to use IRC at
> meetings [5] and if a dedicated IRC client does not work you can use the
> web client [6].

Definitely IRC > WebEx ;)

> All of our technical work is to be done on our public mailing list (
> public-device-apis@w3.org ) [7] and in our Media Capture task force [8]
> and WebIntents task force (not active) [9].  Please note that mail for the
> task forces does not appear on the DAP mailing list, so you have to join
> the task forces explicitly to participate. The task forces may also have
> additional teleconferences.

Perhaps for the beginning - a gentle start would go around the region of
APIs like Battery Status?

> Please introduce yourself on this mailing list indicating who you are, why
> you are interested in participating in the Device APIs WG,  which parts of
> the charter are of particular interest, your expectations, and where you
> might be able to contribute.

First, I apologize for writing here so late, but this month has had plenty
of action and in fact it's still not seem to be over yet.

My short bio follows. I have background in information security, having
also worked on it professionally in a few places.  I recently graduated
from a CS PhD program at INRIA (France), focusing on privacy (including
tracking, profiling, transparency & co).

My (unupdated for a while) web site is:
http://privatics.inrialpes.fr/~lukasz/ (thanks to HTML there are also some
links on this site!)

I am also somewhat active on Twitter: @lukOlejnik

And I will attempt to provide input here and also at PING's list.

My interests span security,  privacy and transparency (I have some ideas in
mind here, my intention is sharing them here/PING - soon). Let's start with
privacy. My intentions are: not jeopardizing the usual DAP work with
privacy rants. So I will figure out an agenda to provide help when/where
needed but not do block/comment everything out there.

Example: if an API is to provide precise readouts in, say,  lx's, then so
be it - if there is a need for that. But let's consider the possible issues
and attempt at distilling sane considerations. In fact, I am working on a
little document on topics close to that. Perhaps I will share it soon.

> Please note that our next call is scheduled for next Thursday, 1 October.
> Please watch the mail list for the agenda (or if we decide to cancel the
> call).

I will do my best to be present over IRC, although the week looks really
tight (it was planned like that a while ago). I'll try, added to my
calendar once it's up (I did not see the hour so far?). I'm comfortable
with GMT late afternoons/evenings, although I believe there is a standard
15:00 UTC?

Cheers
Lukasz