Re: [ambient-light] implementation and spec status update

Hi Paul, Adrian,

Paul - I noticed you've been looking at the Ambient Light Events recently [0], and are considering whether it would be good to be shipped in Chrome stable without a flag. Other browser vendors have also publicly indicated they have either shipped it experimentally (Mozilla) or are working on it (Microsoft).

TL;DR: the group has receiver implementation feedback from Mozilla, that the group is in process of fixing as we speak.

Below is an update from ~couple of months ago I gave to the group. Since my update, the following has happened: Tobie (cc'd) has started to actively work on [5] and has indicated he should have the first draft out within days (Tobie - correct?).

I'm wondering whether browser vendors would be more comfortable in:

a) exposing the same feature through two different APIs: the current high level one reusing DOM Events [3] that has known issues, as well as the soon-to-be redesigned API that'll use [5] as the blueprint and gives web developers more control over the functionality, addresses the known issues, or

b) just ship the redesigned API.

Mozilla indicated [4] they'd like to see the issue fixed with an redesigned API, and that's what Tobie has been working on.

Paul, Adrian - Please let us know your thoughts so that the group can plan accordingly.

Thanks,

-Anssi (Ambient Light spec editor)

[0] https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=336424#c20