[admin] draft minutes 2015-03-05 DAP teleconference

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 10:50:01 -0500
To: W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Attached are draft minutes from today's DAP teleconference, 5 March 2015. Please send any corrections to the public list. I scribed.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Chair, W3C Device APIs WG (DAP)

www.fjhirsch.com
@fjhirsch

[![W3C][1]][2]

# Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

## 05 Mar 2015

See also: [IRC log][3]

## Attendees

Present

    Frederick_Hirsch, Mats_Wichmann, Giri_Mandyam, Andrey_Logvinov,
Anssi_Kostiainen

Regrets

    Tobie_Langel, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux

Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    fjh

## Contents

  * [Topics][4]

    1. [Minutes approval][5]

    2. [Battery API][6]

    3. [HTML Media Capture][7]

    4. [Proximity][8]

    5. [Generic Sensor API][9]

    6. [Wake Lock API][10]

    7. [Adjourn][11]

  * [Summary of Action Items][12]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 05 March 2015

<scribe> Agenda: [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Mar/0000.html][13]

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

Chrome plan on requiring secure origin for getUserMedia,
[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Feb/0045.html][14]

gmandyam: had a call a few months ago regarding requiring secure origin as
Chair of GeoLocation

… concern that only one browser vendor driving decision, need community
decision, will have PING discussion in conjunction with IETF

### Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 19 February 2015

proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 19 February 2015 are approved,
[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Feb/att-0040/minutes-2015-02-19.html][15]

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 19 February 2015 are approved,
[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Feb/att-0040/minutes-2015-02-19.html][15]**

### Battery API

fjh: thanks to Zhiqiang and Anssi for driving this forward

Tests and test descriptions updated, [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public
/public-device-apis/2015Feb/0041.html][16] (Zhiqiang)

[https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1623][17]

[https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1644][18]

[http://www.w3c-test.org/battery-status/battery-plugging-in-manual.html][19]

the Chrome Android bug of missing an implementation of chargingTime and
dischargingTime attributes has been fixed couple of days ago, see:
[https://crbug.com/401553][20]

fjh: believe Zhiqiang checking that in next release

the Chrome Android bug of missing an implementation of chargingTime and
dischargingTime attributes has been fixed couple of days ago, see:
[https://crbug.com/401553][20]

<anssik> The remaining implementation issues blocking CR exit are

<anssik> * Chrome's lack of WebIDL compliance ([http://crbug.com/43394)][21]
that causes the battery-interface-idlharness.html and battery-interface.html
tests to fail.

<anssik> * Mozilla's implementation update to match the latest spec
([https://bugzil.la/1047119).][22]

anssik: test suite is in good shape now

... missing features have been fixed but the WebIDL compliance is still open

fjh: that has not been fixed

anssik: no, it is still in progress, still needs to be fixed, could work
around as Dom suggested

… waiting on Firefox compliant implementation

fjh: firefox fix still in progress, yes

anssik: yes, on critical path, someone wanted to work on it in Jan, now has
explicit permission to take this on

… mozilla has many volunteers that come and go, asked Marcos if he could do
anything to make this move, said enough watching this bug to move it forward

increasing Cordova interest in Battery, contact Dom re sponsoring intern

### HTML Media Capture

fjh: anything new

anssik: not yet

### Proximity

waiting for implementations

anssik: also has dependency on Generic Sensor API work, as does Ambient Light,
thus expect to revise when Generic Sensor APIs

fjh: so this means that we won’t move existing spec forward

<anssik> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#roadmap][23]

<anssik> "Will change based on the current work towards a generic pattern for
sensor APIs"

fjh: I believe once we move to generic sensor API I expect this work can move
forward fairly quickly, so not necessarily a problem to restart the spec

... need to clarify DAP home page which implies, despite note, that proximity
and ambient light are now near completion

anssik: how would we handle process

fjh: go back to FPWD/WD etc since new start

... expect that with implementer support and a generic sensor approach that
makes sense I think we can move quickly through the process

… old or new won’t matter much as long as we don’t have re-work cycles,
probably doing a LC won’t make much of a difference, need the review anyway

fjh: roughly it sounds like we might have a draft in April, maybe CR in the
fall, REC next year, though we might be able to speed it up

### Generic Sensor API

fjh: awaiting draft from Tobie who unfortunately is on sick leave

### Wake Lock API

Andrey_Logvinov: in process of implementing it Yandex browser, will then
upstream to Chromium

… plan to finish implementation in June then upstream

fjh: when shall we revise standard

Andrey_Logvinov: working off draft, so might find issues that might require
revision of spec, otherwise we have a draft

fjh: so if implementation exposes problems good to know before standard work,
if ok then we can move draft forward quickly

### Adjourn

## Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][24] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][25])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://www.w3.org/2015/03/05-dap-irc

   [4]: #agenda

   [5]: #item01

   [6]: #item02

   [7]: #item03

   [8]: #item04

   [9]: #item05

   [10]: #item06

   [11]: #item07

   [12]: #ActionSummary

   [13]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Mar/0000.html

   [14]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Feb/0045.html

   [15]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Feb/att-0040/minutes-2015-02-19.html

   [16]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Feb/0041.html

   [17]: https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1623

   [18]: https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1644