W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > June 2015

draft minutes 25 June 2015

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:03:51 -0400
To: W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Message-Id: <ACF8CCD7-2D4C-43A6-B0A6-D94DDA105C59@fjhirsch.com>
attached are draft minutes from today's DAP call, I scribed

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Chair, W3C Device APIs WG (DAP)

www.fjhirsch.com
@fjhirsch


[![W3C][1]][2]

# Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

## 25 Jun 2015

See also: [IRC log][3]

## Attendees

Present

    Frederick_Hirsch, Anssi_Kostiainen, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux

Regrets

    Tobie_Langel

Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    fjh

## Contents

  * [Topics][4]

    1. [Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements][5]

    2. [Minutes approval][6]

    3. [Battery][7]

    4. [HTML Media Capture][8]

    5. [Wake Lock API][9]

    6. [Way forward on Proximity Events and Ambient Light APIs][10]

    7. [Device Orientation API (and Generic Sensor API)][11]

    8. [DAP Rechartering][12]

    9. [Adjourn][13]

  * [Summary of Action Items][14]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 25 June 2015

<scribe> Agenda: [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0161.html][15]

### Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

CfC to shelve Permissions API ends today,
[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0150.html][16]

TPAC,[http://www.w3.org/2015/10/TPAC/][17]

fjh: looks like we can go ahead with publication tomorrow, if no concerns.
I've prepared draft for publication Tue 2 July

dom: I can make the publication request

fjh: thanks

... TPAC breakout sounds good, thanks

### Minutes approval

fjh: Approve minutes from 11 June 2015

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 11June 2015 are approved,
[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/att-0104/minutes-2015-06-11.html][18]**

### Battery

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0156.html][19]

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0163.html][20]

fjh: battery testing still in progress thanks to Intel, need work on Mozilla
to progress

anssik: person working on it in private branch

### HTML Media Capture

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0157.html][21]

fjh: do we know which browsers based on webkit are offering this HTML Media
Capture and can provide test results

anssik: code is in webkit, but work required for browser to use it

... we had blackberry browser, but that status of Blackberry OS is now unknown

... there are some forks

fjh: so we have an issue related to two implementations

anssik: is on chrome in android

... webkit places - apple, mozilla ok with accept attributes, similar but not
exact, microsoft not clear

... maybe we should check with microsoft

... small amount of work with WebIDL to tie into platform

dom: should we stop having only one implementation or try to get others;
question of whether to continue with this

... is it useful

anssik: can review use cases that are not addressed by accept attribute

dom: if using instagram don't want to use photo gallery, part of rationale

<scribe> **ACTION:** anssik to contact Mozilla and Microsoft re interest in
implementing HTML Media Capture vs shelving [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-minutes.html#action01][22]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-734 - Contact mozilla and microsoft re interest in
implementing html media capture vs shelving [on Anssi Kostiainen - due
2015-07-02].

anssik: taking photo still hard on web platform if you need to use
getUserMedia, so HTML Media Capture should be relevant

<anssik> [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=741393][23]

fjh: if we do not have interest then I will send a CfC to shelve, resulting in
it being published as a Note and work stopped

### Wake Lock API

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0158.html][24]

fjh: looks like this work is progress

response, [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/att-0168/00-part][25]

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0169.html][26]

### Way forward on Proximity Events and Ambient Light APIs

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0159.html][27]

fjh: we have choice, I think a lot depends on timing

... have not gotten much response to my question on the list

anssik: we need better idea by having generic api better developed and then
seeing fit

dom: not sure if either in high demand, so can wait for a few months to decide

... most logical might be to build on generic sensor API

... I haven't heard concern about these two APIs being delayed or strong
desire for them to move forward

... what is status of microsoft on these

anssik: ambient light under development accroding to microsoft web page,
shared this with Adrian and Travis

... they are aware that we are working on the generic sensor API

fjh: summary - continue on generic sensor api path, with view toward moving
Proximity and Ambient toward Generic Sensor API

dom: know no strong interest in current APIs, concerns from Mozilla,
possibility of confusion

... suggest we make clear that we don't expect to continue these in the
current approach

... current consensus of group is toward generic sensor

fjh: have only seen one response to my message, from Tobie

proposed RESOLUTION: CfC to return Proximity and Ambient light to WD noting
that approach will be generic sensor API based

dom: suggest we publish with strong note that being based on Generic Sensor
API

... not sure we should remove technical content

anssik: add notes to editors draft, not sure we need to publish

dom: it is important, some people are confused if TR does not match what is on
our roadmap

... don't want announcement

... can publish using echidna (the new pub system)

anssik: moved ambient light, will do for proximity

<scribe> **ACTION:** anssik to create editor drafts for Ambient LIght and
Proximity indicating new approach toward generic sensor API, also drafts for
publication to TR space [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-
minutes.html#action02][28]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-735 - Create editor drafts for ambient light and
proximity indicating new approach toward generic sensor api, also drafts for
publication to tr space [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2015-07-02].

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to send CfC for WD publication for Ambient Light and
Proximity once drafts available [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25
-dap-minutes.html#action03][29]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-736 - Send cfc for wd publication for ambient light
and proximity once drafts available [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2015-07-02].

### Device Orientation API (and Generic Sensor API)

anssi: what is up with device orientation spec, no progress in 15 months

dom: in May AC meeting disussed with Giri, unclear whether work will progress

<anssik> [http://w3c.github.io/deviceorientation/spec-source-
orientation.html][30]

dom: we need to decide whether to continue or not, Giri will bring back to
group

<anssik> [https://github.com/w3c/deviceorientation][31]

dom: also checking with staff contact for that group, have not heard

<anssik> DeviceOrientation Event Specification Editor's Draft 12 March 2014

dom: need to bring this up on geolocation mailing list

anssik: concern over use of DOM Events

... do we need a task force for sensor related specifications

dom: difference ambient light/proximity and device orientation is that device
orientation is widely deployed and implemented

... should ask geolocation to finish standardization of current API

... then how and why to develop API on top of sensor API

... could do in DAP if agreed with geolocation wg

<anssik> +1

dom: reason is that not much interest in that group, and also developing
generic sensor API, also rechartering

<dom_> **ACTION:** Dom to chat with Geo Chair and Staff contact on future of
device orientaiton [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-
minutes.html#action04][32]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-737 - Chat with geo chair and staff contact on
future of device orientaiton [on Dominique Hazaƫl-Massieux - due 2015-07-02].

### DAP Rechartering

request for comments, input: [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
device-apis/2015Jun/0149.html][33]

dom: asks for review of proposal

... webapps and HTML re-arrangement, media likely to be separate

### Adjourn

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** anssik to contact Mozilla and Microsoft re interest in
implementing HTML Media Capture vs shelving [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-minutes.html#action01][22]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** anssik to create editor drafts for Ambient LIght and
Proximity indicating new approach toward generic sensor API, also drafts for
publication to TR space [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-
minutes.html#action02][28]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Dom to chat with Geo Chair and Staff contact on future
of device orientaiton [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-
minutes.html#action04][32]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to send CfC for WD publication for Ambient Light and
Proximity once drafts available [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25
-dap-minutes.html#action03][29]]


[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][34] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][35])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-irc

   [4]: #agenda

   [5]: #item01

   [6]: #item02

   [7]: #item03

   [8]: #item04

   [9]: #item05

   [10]: #item06

   [11]: #item07

   [12]: #item08

   [13]: #item09

   [14]: #ActionSummary

   [15]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0161.html

   [16]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0150.html

   [17]: http://www.w3.org/2015/10/TPAC/

   [18]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/att-0104/minutes-2015-06-11.html

   [19]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0156.html

   [20]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0163.html

   [21]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0157.html

   [22]: http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [23]: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=741393

   [24]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0158.html

   [25]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/att-0168/00-part

   [26]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0169.html

   [27]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0159.html

   [28]: http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-minutes.html#action02

   [29]: http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-minutes.html#action03

   [30]: http://w3c.github.io/deviceorientation/spec-source-orientation.html

   [31]: https://github.com/w3c/deviceorientation

   [32]: http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-dap-minutes.html#action04

   [33]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jun/0149.html

   [34]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [35]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/





Received on Thursday, 25 June 2015 15:04:24 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:05 UTC