Re: [sensors] Address questions around exposing high-level, low-level, and uncalibrated sensors

From: Rick Waldron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 16:32:28 +0000
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
> and it appears that these sensors all have an integrated temperature
 sensor

Yes, and I actually cannot identify a barometric pressure sensor that
doesn't come with a temperature. I still think that these need to be
treated as discrete sensors.

> So I have a bunch of follow up questions:

> For this particular case, where two sensors on a single sensor are
used to provide compensated data to improve the overall quality of the
 readings, what should be exposed to the Web platform?

> - the compensated pressure reading and the temperature reading?

These are the only useful values that any program will care about.
"Uncompensated" air pressure measurements are "wrong" air pressure
measurements ;)

> From the barometer data, it seems easy to get elevation data using a
 bit of math, the temperature(?) and a few constants (mean pressure at
 sea level, something else?). Should a separate new
sensors.Altimeter() be also exposed in that case?

This is exactly what I was thinking.

--
GitHub Notif of comment by rwaldron
See https://github.com/w3c/sensors/issues/51#issuecomment-112870300